Options

Our 05 360 FV handled a nasty small craft advisory

echandler1971echandler1971 Member Posts: 165 ✭✭
Didn’t plan to be in one, but in order to get back to the harbor, we had to go against the wind and at a 45 to it. 3-4 foot swells. She handled like a dream even as she bobbed and rolled like a cork. We donned life jackets - we were that worried. She held fast and got us home. Rinker makes a good hull. 
Dan of Steel
'05 Rinker 360 Fiesta Vee

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Well done!  The boat will probably handle a lot more than the captain and crew.  
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2021
    @echandler1971 - Lol I just ready your FB post.  I recently joined that group.  Often wonder who is on both.  Glad your safe.  Agreed our boats can take much more than we can as crew
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assumed that was his video as well and now that I see the screen name it's obvious 😂. We took video of us in the 280 taken some big waves but the video makes it look like we are barely moving. The boats handle the waves very well and seem to not slam down on the water instead seeming to plow through the big waves. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Yep that’s me. Posted just these 2 places but we are seemingly in the same places as a group 
    Dan of Steel
  • Options
    My wave story is when we went to our club trip a few weeks back. I told them I was gonna head down Thursday evening and they said we should wait as "little cape horn" gets bad. Never heard of it and in one ear out the other 😃. Well for one part in the river where it goes around an island apparently it gets very windy and big waves. We hit 3-4 foot waves and had water splashing over the entire boat. When we got past the island the wind was still really bad but the waves calmed down. We powered up to 25kts and my flag was blowing 90 degrees to the direction of the boats course. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    I’m new to boating and this being my first year, I knew not the limits of this boat, so we had the life jackets on and I was dictating my last will and testament. When we got to port I nullified the verbal will. “Never mind”
    Dan of Steel
  • Options
    Didn't know this was your first year. Well welcome to boating. I actually think we did have our life vest handy as well on that run. Always a good idea to wear them and be in the habit of it when your on the move in some questionable waters. Even on the river where we can see the shore the currents are very strong and if you go overboard you will float away quick and shore may be a mile away as your getting swept down river. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is never fun being in a situation where you feel you *need* a lifejacket.  Been there!  Glad you made it safely.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Glad you and your family are safe and sound. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The boat is probably more capable than most people onboard can handle.  Had my 342 out in 8’ on Lk Mich….not by choice.  lol

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Rinker made the main photo and a big appearance in this video. It's at about 1:40 into the video. 

https://youtu.be/ibCA9DTBufc
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    We have never been in anything close to that but our last boat was a 1986 Sea Ray 250 Sundancer that we bought from the original owner. They kept it on Erie the whole time they had it. He said he got caught out in 4-5'ers. Said the boat handled it fine but he would never want to do it again...lol.
    And on the Sea Ray forum there is a guy with a 2000-ish 310 Sundancer that just posted that he was near Put In Bay with another boat 'tailgating' him and he had a 35' boat cut across right in front of him. He said the wave caused 3-4' a crack in the side of his hull near the chine
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    This exact thing happened to me a few weeks ago.  Was heading North to Racine, Wisconsin and another boat I estimate to be 45+ foot was cruising parallel to me.  He sped up a bit and decided to cross my bow for no reason.  I had no time or way to get out of the huge wake they created.  Our hatch was open and the wake threw my 270 around like it was nothing and the cabin took water through the hatch.  My wife was scared shitless and I was flat out pi$$ed.  The lake was mostly smooth until that a$$hat pulled that move.  He did it just to turn around and alter course.  He could and should have gone right and avoided me all together.
    Post edited by raybo3 on
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always Blue Top Legend on Wavy Boats. lol

https://youtu.be/lFtW9h0HVuc

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always Blue Top Legend on Wavy Boats. lol

https://youtu.be/lFtW9h0HVuc
    👍🏻👍🏻⚓️
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I wish they had posted pictures. That is concerning that the boat Hull cracked and I would be interested to see how they fix it and make sure it's secure. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    boatman37boatman37 Member Posts: 798 ✭✭✭
    yep. if there is internal structural damage then they may total it?