Options

Boat steering issue

i have a 2001 rinker captiva 272 bowrider--turning right is easy but doesnt turn left very well.  also when moving thru a no wake zone or drivng slowly, i am constantly counter steering back and forth.  Is there something i should check?

Answers

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Check and see if there's a lot of play in the drive.  You might excessive steering slop and need a new steering assembly 
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Welcome to the forum.  Constant counter-steering (wandering) at no-wake speed is a fault that some hulls have, some don't.  If you put the trim tabs down, it will usually help.  
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    skennelly said:
    Check and see if there's a lot of play in the drive.  You might excessive steering slop and need a new steering assembly 
    I had some slop and replace the bushings at the drive rams and the spacer at the drive pins, also replaced the pins for the tie rod and the tie rod itself. It took 80-90% of the play out. You can see in the pics how the rubber bushings holes were elongated. The rest of the play on mine is elongated holes at the steering arm on the starboard side. You can try and retorque the “U” bolt on the outside of the transom assembly, it might help.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    jefcar98jefcar98 Member Posts: 4
    thank you i will check