Options

Trim/prop seal leak? Sheen on water.

06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
Hi Everyone.  I was out at idle yesterday and noticed some sheen on the water.  I noticed while engine is running, little droplets of what I believe is oil, were coming up to the surface from what I believe is my drive.  At first I thought fuel but I dont smell anything.  When I was in my slip I raised my outdrive all the way out a ton more came out.  I checked my trim reservoir and gear reservoir and both dont look to be loosing too much.  I have not ran the boat much nor on plane.  My question is, trim seal/line or prop seal maybe?  Also my main concern, is the boat safe to use in terms of damaging my drive?  I have a lot of plans on the boat for this holiday weekend so I want to be sure I can go out, even if I dont trim much or at all. Thank you for al your help!  
Patrick
06 Rinker 270

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Water in the drive = very bad
    Water in the trim rams/leaking trim lines = no big deal (other than environmental impact)

Try moving the drive up and down with the engine not running and see how much of a sheen you get.  Probably a leaking trim line or fitting (common failure), especially if they're original.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Would I see water in my outdrive gear lube reservoir if that was it?

If I trim up and down without engine water and I do or do not get oil, what does that mean? 

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    If you trim the drive with the engine off and you see a sheen, it is likely a trim line issue.

The other possibility is that you have a leaky power steering cooler.  How's your power steering fluid level?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    No leaking fluid when I come up.  And think I am seeing water in reservoir.

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    There's a thread about a cheap plastic fitting at the transom that breaks often, I believe @J3ff had this issue and maybe @aero3113 ?  I think it was related to the drive lube.
    Post edited by YYZRC on
  • Options
    Here is a pic of the reservoir.  Think I can use the boat safely?  Not going far.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    Don’t drive it that’s water in your outdrive
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That does look like water in the oil... 😔.  I would check the drive lube hose that's under the water. This exact same thing happened to me but mine broke off! Emptied that bottle in 20 mins... Talk about a crappy day!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @YYZRC it was @PickleRick that replaced his. I thought I was going to have to replace mine but it turns out it stopped leaking when I pushed up on the hose.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I am grateful for everyone’s help.  I am doing a short haul tomorrow AM to have a check.  No matter what, I need to flush drive gear right? Maybe twice?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    I am grateful for everyone’s help.  I am doing a short haul tomorrow AM to have a check.  No matter what, I need to flush drive gear right? Maybe twice?
    So I drained the oil and then based on someone here I used mineral spirits to flush it out, which saved money on spending money on extra oil.. let me find the link to what happened to me so you can see where to look. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Page 2 has pictures of what broke. It's on the Stbd side of the out drive... these pictures were taken in the water...so that's why they are sort of dark.. 

https://rinkerboats.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/12005/sigh-oil-leak-big-one/p2
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    edited September 2021
    Yes, at a minimum you need to change all gear lube and fix why it got in. I would definitely not drive until I found how water got in. Right now drive could be fine, but if driving, you will most likely cause problems.  Sorry, I know you don't want to hear that.  You could find something on short haul.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Thanks everyone.  I need to least take the 10 minute trip to the marina for the short haul.  Fingers crossed it makes it there.  I’ll look at all of these options. 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    turns out it was a leaking trim line.  Needed to have transom assembly replaced anyways so I just had them do it all.  Ouch!  I hate outdrives!!

I am grateful for everyones help.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    turns out it was a leaking trim line.  Needed to have transom assembly replaced anyways so I just had them do it all.  Ouch!  I hate outdrives!!

I am grateful for everyones help.  
    Yikes!! That's a big job for sure!
  • Options
    Still makes me worried about what I am seeing in the reservoir tank.  Mechanic said he checked and didn’t see any water in drive itself.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Yeah the milky drive reservoir doesn’t make sense to me.