Options

boat drain problems 2008 Captive 276

Can someone give me direction on removing and replacing the boat stern drain? The brass housing was loose when I tried to remove the plug. So I thought I would simply remove the 3 small screws that hold it onto the boat. Well they backed out about an 1/8" and just keep spinning and spinning. They will not back out or screw in and tighten up/ Any ideas please.

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s called a garbord plug. I would pry it out and see what’s going on. Sounds like your transom is a bit wet. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you tell if they are coarse thread or fine thread? If they are coarse then they are wood screws and you can pry them out and then refill the holes with epoxy and out new screws in. If they are fine thread then they probably have a back nut you can try prying and turning so the nut hopefully will catch on to something and not spin. 

I am pretty sure they are a wood type screw though. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Where would one get access to a moisture meter? Not familiar with the boat- my transom inspection for leaking was drilling some holes on the inside looking for wet or dry shavings.  Would add motor was out....
  • Options
    dbeall1914dbeall1914 Member Posts: 13
    Thanks everyone I was able to pry one finally and they are wood screws. So I did fill the holes and re-drilled and all is good.