Options

Port holes / windows

Any way to make the port hole windows stay open? They seem to be only held by friction, but gravity always wins and they slowly close. 

Any fixes? Workarounds?

Comments

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very (VERY) carefully tighten the screws on the hinges a bit forore friction. Don't snap a hinge. Otherwise there's not much else you can do.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    randallh82w8randallh82w8 Member Posts: 35
    Willhound said:
    Very (VERY) carefully tighten the screws on the hinges a bit forore friction. Don't snap a hinge. Otherwise there's not much else you can do.
    That was my thought, but I had a quick look and it wasn’t obvious where to tighten. Perhaps I just didn’t notice. 
  • Options
    It may vary from different manufacturers. Mine were Bomar and just had a machine screw with a nut through the hinge. Other's could be different. 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the are Jim Black port lights, there are caps at the end of the hinge that needs removed to access the screws. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Remove the caps with a pen knife...or what I had to do was screw in a small screw and then use a pliers to pry the plug out.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭✭
    Or just tap a Phillips head driver into it and tighten the screws, when you pull it out the plug will likely come out then.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Squatch68Squatch68 Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    I just did mine a couple weeks ago. Mine are Jim Black. With some patience and a small thin flat head the caps do come out. Once you know the trick they come out quite easy.  I was able to tighten all of the windows except the head because it's recessed into a small framed opening. 
  • Options
    Squatch68 said:
     I was able to tighten all of the windows except the head because it's recessed into a small framed opening. 
    And that's the one you usually want to be able to prop open! 😆
  • Options
    Squatch68Squatch68 Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    Willhound said:

And that's the one you usually want to be able to prop open! 😆
    Haha you're not wrong!  A spare roll of toilet paper does the trick lol