Options

Outdrive Trim Rate

YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've noticed that my drives do not trim up/down at the same rate.  Port side is lazy (or Starboard side is eager).  Is there any way to adjust this?
2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,547 mod
    None that I've ever heard.  Are you going from instrument readings, or hands-on timing?  I've been meaning to measure mine.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    The readings were off (VV gives the exact reading). I also noticed that if I raise the drives to planing angle with the common switch and then lower them, it takes longer for the port side to bottom out. So finally I measured them a couple weeks ago when I was anchored in 4’ of water at a beach and there’s about a 3/4” difference from tip of drive to bottom of platform when trimmed at normal planing angle.  

I think this difference impacts my use of trim tabs as well. 
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you check the solenoids with a multi meter to see if there is a delay there? 

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Maybe change the oil in both systems? Possibly one oil is thicker than the other or has some moisture in it? Also, maybe the seals on the rams on the slower side are tighter than the other? Just guessing here.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    @aero3113 how would you recommend changing the oil?  Should I pull off one of the hoses and run the pump to empty the reservoir?
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my 342 one drive trimmed up just a little faster than the other. I validated this visually over the winter. Wasn’t something I worried about as I would usually trim with sound on plane anyway. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ......of course the trim ram shims are both installed the same way on both drives? 
  • Options
    Great point @Michael T !! I will check that. I think they are since the drives are the same height when fully down but…!
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    @aero3113 how would you recommend changing the oil?  Should I pull off one of the hoses and run the pump to empty the reservoir?
    If you have a suction pump (and correct hose) like what would be used to change your engine oil, I think that would be easiest. You’ll still have some oil in the lines but you won’t be able to get that unless you’re out of the water.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    You can change the oil, run it a couple of times then change again. I would think after that you would’ve got most of the old oil out.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 530 ✭✭✭
    I agree with @PickleRick. Check the solenoids. I Changed the solenoids on port side this winter and the starboard side lags behind now going up. But good going down. Will change them this winter
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    I just started with solenoids as they are the easiest to check other than the obvious checking of the fluid levels as well as looing for possible fluid contamination.   I can tell you from personal experience that when the trim arm seals leak the fluid in the reservoir looks like strawberry milkshake. I had no outside fluid leaks but she sucked enough water that I could tell.  

I like starting with easy first.  

The banana spacers Michael T pointed out are another easy one that you should be able to eyeball without removing the aft trim arm spacer.  

If you don't have a pump  a turkey baster or even large  golf ball diameter syringe works great to change fluids in power steering pumps and trim pumps.