Suggestion on Long Island Mobile Marine Mechanic?

anyone have a recommendation for a mobile marine mechanic service on Long Island?  My Rinker 310 is in Freeport , LI (Nassau County).  I need a sea water impeller changed and looking at the access on the starboard engine its something I do not want to tackle on my own while in the water.  
2002 Rinker 310

Best Answers

• IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @Rinker310_LI I agree it’s a PITA to get to and I did mine when in winter storage. Moving blanket on top of engine and laying on top feet to stern, wrestling the hoses off the rear of the pump is awkward at best and I’d not want to have to deal with trying to plug them. If it were me I’d put the money into hauling/lifting out and do both at the same time.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 530 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @Rinker310_LI this guy advertises in local boat mags. 

I’ve not used either but just a suggestion 
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,556 mod
    Answer ✓
    So, I used to own the same boat, 2002 310 and did change my own impellers every other year (I believe a total of 4 times).  It is definitely a bit tight.  I'd say do it over the winter (like a few weeks before putting boat back in water).  This would give you some time and not have to hurry.  It also allows the old impeller to sit in the pump, not the new one. As for the hoses, spray some lube on the hoses when reinstalling.  It will go back on much easier.  Also, when removing hoses, take pump off engine first and have on floor.  It allows you better access and can twist it a bit more.  Opposite when reinstalling hoses (at least I think so).  Install pump on motor first, then you have something to push hoses back onto.  I can't say I ever had to lay on the motors to do this job though.

I'd say that $^%@ generator impeller is the worst thing on that boat to change.  It is all by feel, can't see.  Yes, you can use a mirror, but it was a pain.

Now, the worst engine impeller I ever changed was the stbd side on a 2000 340.  For changing out both impellers, I actually got a used Nissan 2hp outboard! :-:smile:  (it was kind of a deal from a friend that had an extra and I needed one).  (an older 270 came in a close second because of that little catch that should've been grinded off)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Answers

• skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't have a recommendation, but if I had to pay to have an impeller changed I'd probably get out of boating.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doing an impeller on a 310 really is aweful, very little room between the engines and the wall. Doable but yea blankets to lay on the engine would be a must.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I called Al’s at the beginning of the season, left a message. Never received a call back 🤷🏻‍♂️. It seems like this happens on a regular basis now. I think that good customer service is starting to disappear rapidly. I keep saying if I ever opened up a shop, it would be based around great customer service and pride in our work. I would have so much business and would give each forum member a franchise!!!! 
    2008 330EC
  • Rinker310_LIRinker310_LI Member Posts: 22
    skennelly said:
    I don't have a recommendation, but if I had to pay to have an impeller changed I'd probably get out of boating.
    I think twitter is a better avenue for comments like yours.  Just my two cents.  As you can see from those who are familiar with a 310 , its not a walk in the park.  
    2002 Rinker 310
    Ian said:
    @Rinker310_LI I agree it’s a PITA to get to and I did mine when in winter storage. Moving blanket on top of engine and laying on top feet to stern, wrestling the hoses off the rear of the pump is awkward at best and I’d not want to have to deal with trying to plug them. If it were me I’d put the money into hauling/lifting out and do both at the same time.
    Thanks @Ian , its nice to get validation that I am not crazy !  I try to do as much as I can myself and it kills me to pay for an impeller.  Your suggestion is nice out of the box thinking !
    2002 Rinker 310
    thanks everyone for your great comments.  I love this community.  I'll get this done somehow.  Still plenty of time left to enjoy boating even in the northeast.  
    2002 Rinker 310
    That is really good advice. I am as flexible as possible with my mechanic, as anal as I am I don’t question him, and I pay the bill the day it arrives without question (and offer to pay on the day of service if I am there). He has only made one mistake and he made it right on a Saturday so I trust him. I do my own general maintenance but I am sure to have him do at least a couple of things a year to keep some kind of flow with him. Sometimes I buy my own parts but I’ve told him to feel free to reject that and he is fine with it as he knows I know how to look up the right part numbers. Of course part failures are on me in those cases. 

@Alswagg , I understand what you’re saying but both of the companies posted above are mobile marine services. No reason not to give a call back, even if they can’t do the job or aren’t available……
    2008 330EC
    Agree with that too. It’s not hard to return a phone call or email and even if they can’t or won’t work on the boat they should ALWAYS respond. Zero excuse for no response unless there was a previous problem with the customer. That said that’s how it goes here too, most mechanics good or bad just don’t respond at all when they are fully booked or are not open to doing the work.  

A little off topic but relevant. We needed a photographer for our daughters christening for this Sunday. We made multiple calls an emails to different photographers within the past 2 months. Less than half responded. How is this the norm??
    2008 330EC
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    A little off topic but relevant. We needed a photographer for our daughters christening for this Sunday. We made multiple calls an emails to different photographers within the past 2 months. Less than half responded. How is this the norm??
    I think they are all in catch up from last years deferrals and living off non-refundable deposits.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

I agree, but shouldn’t we still get a call back?? If they can help us or not? I would think a business owner would want to make a call in hopes for future business.
    2008 330EC