Options

I want to convert from the Thunderbolt ignition (1995 7.4L) to something else, any suggestions?

I am having ignition problems and finding parts for this is next to impossible to find (ignition modules - nonexistent) so I would like to put in a totally different ignition system. I have no schematics for this boat and no owners manual. I have had other boats in the past and have had no trouble finding manuals and parts for the boat. This Rinker has been a nightmare for manuals, parts and anything else I have tried to do. I am starting to regret buying this think. I should have stuck with a better known name.

Answers

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @sp5972 Welcome to the forum.

What issues are you having?

Rinker is just the hull, everything else is going to be different makes and manufacturers. Anything mechanical has nothing to do with Rinker. You will get plenty of information on this forum.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As aero said why would you think Rinker would be responsible for manuals of equipment they don't manufacturer. You can easily search and find any manual you need on Google. 

1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    As others said, rinker purchased the engine/drive package from mercruiser, mercruiser  provided  all manual/tech/support for the drive system.  Same package you'd find in the same year equipped searay/donzi/bayliner  etc.

MSD makes a marine conversion kit.  So does DENSO (etc i think).  350 to about 500 bucks for said kits.   

Not all the thunderbolt parts are still available but many are.  Your engine will have a serial number plate.   That number will give you access to mercruiser parts breakdowns, manuals/etc online.  Once you figure out what system you have you can then track down part numbers  of used or nos parts if you dont want to convert.  

I have a bayliner,  the 2859 which was an upper end bayliner(upper end in quality for a bayliner). Bayliner is still in business and there is little to no support for my 2001 boat via bayliner despite them still being very much in business.  

Very few 1995 model boats are going to have factory support.  Not many boat manufacturers that were producing boats in 95 are still under the same ownership.  The ones that are still open have changed  hull designs, construction methods  and lay outs so many times little to nothing produced today is a direct replacement item.  Companies like great lakes skipper buy up and resell old left over inventory from discontinued lines.

The Catalina 22 is the only production boat I am familiar with that still has(or at least had) amazing factory support after 20 plus years but that's likely because everyone had one and production design didn't have too many changes. 

Luckily for you rinker only made the hull, a great hull at that .  Everything after that was supplied to rinker from other companies. From the toilet to the motor to the pressurized water systems to the cabinet hardware. 

Any boat of 1995 vintage, unless climate controlled stored and serviced maticulalsy is going to need plenty of upgrades and repairs.