Options

Kohler 5E Disassembly

TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
On my model boat - 2014 310 EC - it is my understanding that to remove the generator (Kohler 5E) you need to remove the pulleys and assorted other items from the front of the starboard engine, then you can hoist the genset out in one piece.

My question: Can you disassemble the genset into smaller pieces - thereby not even touching the engine - as long as I am planning on not reusing the genset?

It does not work currently. It is a pain to access and work on - and quite frankly I'd rather have that real estate in the engine room for better access to the engines, bilge pump, etc. -- and/or add extra batteries.

So would I be able to remove it by taking it apart piece by piece? And any logical steps to disassembly?

Comments

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went through this on my 2001 310 fv. Yes, the generator can come apart as you have the stator side and the engine side. That is how we got it out, in 2-3 pieces. Problem was then once it was running perfectly in the shop taking it back apart didn’t make any sense so they still had to remove the alternator, heat exchanger and other parts of an engine to get it back in, in one piece. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    @Liberty44140 - Thanks! That's good to know - so if I get it out in the 2-3 pieces it should have some resale value since I wouldn't be trashing it during removal?
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Sure, the rotor and stator are probably worth $1k each used. Motor probably another thousand or two. But I’d be more concerned about the boats reduced value with the genny missing. Why not get it running?

note I had a tech do all the work I mentioned, I did not disassemble myself. Not sure what that took.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    edited September 2021
    I'm not too concerned about resale since our intention is to keep this boat long-term, so I'd prefer to optimize it for our usage - which does not entail use of a genset since we don't do long-term/overnight anchoring, etc.

It's just one more thing we'd have to maintain ($$). I've learned from all of you that's why gensets go bad -- from not using them regularly.

And with evolving technologies, I might be better off parting it out now - and if the time does come to get something down the road a replacement would be smaller and/or more efficient.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @TonyG13 are you sure it’s a 5E and not a 5ECD? The difference is a 5E is carbureted and a 5ECD is fuel injected. I would think a 2014 has a 5ECD.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Just pulled out the manual. It's a "5EKD-Low CO" -- Does it make any difference for disassembly?
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    🤷🏻‍♂️ LoL!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
    Tony I have the same boat like your but a 2012, I am wonder If you don't mind to keep us update with some pics to see how you remove the genet from the engineer bay. Thx 
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    🤷🏻‍♂️ LoL!
    I had to Google the emoji! That's how I feel!