Options

2006 Rinker Captiva 262 Bowrider- Anchor question

Looking to get a new anchor.  What would be recommended for this size boat?  #8 on Overtons?

Comments

• Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    8lb anchor a bit light for 28' (6000lb) boat. Flukes are probably best bang for your buck. 
    Lots of anchor charts out there. Flukes & Plow anchors seem most common.

I use a 25lb windlass anchor & an 8lb stern throw anchor. (31'4" boat length) Make sure you have some length of chain rode on each.

Mantus Anchor Imperial Recommendations
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,547 mod
    edited September 2021
    @JWalker welcome to the forum.  I agree an 8-pound anchor is not the answer.  If you talk to enough boaters -- the longer they've been boating, the heavier the anchor/chain they recommend.  Chain is your friend.  
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    8lb is good for a stern anchor, useful for when tying up with other boats and keeping the boat from swinging around. I have that with 4' of chain and it holds great, but I always set it by hand since we're in waist-deep water.

I use a 13lb with 4' of chain for my main anchor, and I've got a 276 cuddy. Its NEVER let loose, even in serious storms. I dont have to set it by hand, I can throw it out, back the boat down, and it grabs perfect every time. I'm in sand bottom though, so that makes a big difference. If you're in mud or soft bottom you'll need more anchor, line, and chain than what I use.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3