Options

Engine Tops out at 60% engagement of Throttle

CactusRoseCactusRose Member Posts: 19 ✭✭

2001 340 FV twin 340 mag mpi (300 hp) with Bravo III. Replaced port engine and since then hits WOT at about 60% throttle engagement. Have about 35 hrs on install. Shifter console and cables about 3 years old. New injectors installed with long block.  Can’t find any problem with linkage.  Any ideas?   Note starboard engine and control goes full throttle engagement at WOT.  Also props are in excellent shape and bottom clean. 

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    When both motors are at WOT, are you hitting a normal speed?  So it's not a problem with power delivery, only with the position of the throttle controls?
  • Options
    No, port side lagging behind.  About 300-400 rpm lower. Also won’t sync unless I pull starboard back to match port position.  
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    How old is your fuel filter? You might have an inline filter also. Is the distributor cap and rotor new? Spark plugs?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I was gonna ask what did you move over from the old engine?
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Fuel filter/separators replaced first. Spark plugs, injectors new. Fuel rail cleaned. Replacement engine was a new long block assembly.  Reused everything else. 
  • Options
    It’s possible you have bad spark plug.
    How about your spark plug wires?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Spark plugs wire and distributor all about 3 years old. Next time I am up at the marina will investigate condition.  Engine doesn’t appear to have any “misses” - runs smooth.  
  • Options
    Doing some research this morning and found an article on the TPS (throttle position sensor). Going to be testing to see if that could be contributing to my problem.  Any guidance appreciate. 
  • Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    Did you check the travel of the throttle cables? Are they opening the TBI fully? They may have adjusted them at installation of the new motor.
    When you say hits W.O.T what exactly are you referring to? The binnacle hits the forward stop or the motor wont rev any higher? What are the max RPM'S you are seeing?
  • Options
    Cable functioning properly. Shift handle all the way forward results in butterfly fully open. By WOT I mean the engine appears to be at “maximum” rpm at approximately 60% of full shift position.  Comparatively the starboard engine still has rpms and power to gain from 60% forward. As stated above rpms on port consistently 300-400 lower than starboard. Running 20p props so maximum is normally around 4600 (on starboard).  Getting around 4200 on port.  
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    When you say distributor is 3 years old, do you mean cap and rotor? If yes, I would replace them and try again.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Yes.  I will add to the list.  Thanks. 
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Twin 350 BIII Mags here. We had port motor stumble & multiple backfires couple weeks ago. Started acting up with no warning. Ran at about 60% power. Alarms going off. Wrecked a planned daytrip. Figured the worst had happened.

Motors idled fine, problem only appeared under load.

Had dealer techs come by & hook up laptop.
    Long story short....2X caps, rotors & 16 sparkolators.......everything perfect. 

3 yrs is easily long enough for corrosion on the caps

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    Dist cap, rotor, wires and even a slightly dirty fuel filter can easily pull an engine down 400rpm.  I am also wondering if any of the new fuel injectors is either clogged or just not working.
  • Options
    David Brooks that was one of my first thoughts. I did check to see that they were plugged in but didn’t have time to do anything else with them.  Not sure how to “test” them.  
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where are you getting your RPM numbers from? Analog gauges or digital?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Analog factory gauges.  Note had no issue with this before port engine was changed out. 
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Might be prudent to swap the port/starboard connectors on the tach just to eliminate it as a source of error. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    I heard a saying once "performance comes from paying attention to the little things. Not normally from just one big thing"
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check for a bad tach. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Update, TPS checked out ok. Throttle cable readjusted. New plugs, distributor, and rotor. Both engines sync as they should up to and including WOT. 36 mph at about 4700 rpm.  Thanks for all the comments and help.