Options

Shifting into drive problem from idle

Gman51Gman51 Member Posts: 10
On a 2013 Captiva 276 CC w a 5.7L Mercruiser Bravo 3, I am having trouble shifting into forward drive after initally  leaving the dock , putting in neutral, then trying to go again. Engine just revs then all of a sudden bangs into drive. Does anybody have experience with anything like this ? Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance

Best Answer

• Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I had this same problem.  Initial fix was to replace the shift cable.  That worked for awhile, but symptoms returned.  Marina ended up replacing the cone clutch.  That solved it.

Answers

• Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had this issue my first season. I removed the throttle/shift control and adjusted the shift linkage on the back. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Gman51Gman51 Member Posts: 10
    Thanks, I will try that and let you know if it worked
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the boat is out of the water there is also an adjustment on the outdrive, atleast on my Volvo. Just want the shifter lever to be centered between gears on the outdrive when the throttle control is in the neutral position. 

On the throttle itself when removed I could see as I moved it forward it was delayed engaging the forward gear but very quick to engage reverse so it need to be adjusted forward more. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988