Options

Tankless water heater

Has anyone tried a on demand water heater.?

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not enough power on your boat for that and no LP gas either. You could do a small one under a sink but you would need a dedicated 120 volt circuit. 
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do they even make them for marine use? That may be the first issue not being approved. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    toolmaker312toolmaker312 Member Posts: 96
    Thanks all, I was hoping it was a option. I need to replace my water heater that was bypassed when I bought the boat. I am not  l crazy about draining for winter every year.
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    I bypassed mine as well.  One of those things that I don’t need but don’t like that it doesn’t work.  Are you going to do it?  I think I got quoted around $1000 for parts and labor.  Might just do myself.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    @06Rinker270 $1k to do what?  Replace a water heater?  I hope not.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Looking at my quote he has tank at $700.  Searching online they range from $400-$700. Not sure which one my tech was using.  I think the Kuuma at $400 would be just fine
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm looking at the Kuma for my boat.  The price is great. 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any on-demand hot water heater suitable for reasonable gpm will be high amperage and likely 230VAC too.  Not worth it. 

The tanks are in the price range you noted. Better covers (SS) add a bit. Epoxy painted one held up decent in my 342. Pretty easy swap if access is decent.  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    i bought the Kuuma Water heater in 2018.  It was the model KUM 11811.  Paid $242 for it.  I did a little searching and the best i could find is in the low $300's.  I will say it is a very easy swap.  My last one rusted out so i raised this one up 1/4 in to it wasn't sitting flat on the shelf in the engine compartment.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I agree, I think the 270s have it in the engine room, very easy swap.  If you have an older 310, that was probably one of the worst things I changed out on that boat!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Yes in the engine room so very easy access.  

@Black_Diamond are you saying due to the high amperage it is not worth to replace yourself?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    Yes in the engine room so very easy access.  

@Black_Diamond are you saying due to the high amperage it is not worth to replace yourself?
    The on demand (tankless) requires too much amperage to run to be worth it. 

I'm diesel powered so I don't have the same ignition protected issues you poor gasser guys have.   The 110v ones on amazon/eBay have crappy reviews.  They are good for washing hands but not so much good for washing your rear end before dinner at the yacht club. 
  • Options
    ah got that now.  Thanks for clarifying! 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270