Options

Fuel Filler/Vent Volcano Eruptions - Phase 1

TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2021 in Engine Discussions
It appears back in circa 2012 the EPA in its wisdom thought that escaping vapors from a marine fuel tank was bad for the environment, so they mandated a carbon cannister capture system which trapped the vapors -and it's all connected by one integral unit at the fill neck (filler and vent combined).

The unforeseen circumstance that arouse is now potential volcanic eruptions from the fuel filler when air gets trapped or fuel goes the wrong way and can't vent to flow or equalize the pressure from filling the tank - either by bad design or mechanical failure of the device(s).

This is what the fuel filler looks like on my 2014 310 EC (first is a diagram I found online, second is my actual filler setup)...

Since day one I have never been able to fill the tank with anything but a trickle and/or the filler handle constantly shutting off. And when it did finally shutoff almost always got a nice big splash back from the filler neck. Not fun.

Went searching for an answer. BoatUS did some research (https://www.boatus.org/findings/40/) since this appears to be very common and found that the Racor 100 fuel/air separator solved the problem almost 100% of the time.

So today I put one in...

It basically acts as a reservoir, allowing for additional room for fuel expansion and supposedly provides for fuel to settle before returning it to the tank and giving the nozzle time to click off.

I'm going to give this a try and hopefully it works. I also rearranged the lines so there are no low spots. If this doesn't help, it's on to Phase 2 which just might be disconnecting the vent line from the current integral filler vent trap and just put in a new standalone vent (just like the old days).

Keep you all posted...
Post edited by Dream_Inn on

Comments