Options

Camper Canvas redesign or modifications

davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭
I wanted to start a new thread regarding the canvas and sides to see if anyone has tried to improve upon the standard OEM design.  Post your pics of the mods you have had done.  Why you did it and what you like about it.  I have been calling around here in Annapolis to get some estimates to make some changes.  I have some panels that need to be repaired anyway so i just thought it would be a good time to see if it made sense.  My first priority is everything aft of the radar arch.  Here are the items i was thinking of:

• Top canvas piece seems too small.  Almost as if it needs to hang about 2 inches lower on the sides for some overlap.
  • The corners of the separate pieces don't close up. 
  • Has to be a better way to fasten it to the sides of the boat.
  • It is stretched so tight there is no wonder why stitches or seams don't last.
  • Are snaps the best option?
  • Is there anything i can do to help with the station wagon effect?  it is both the carbon monoxide as well as the sea spray? 
  • Do i get rid of the big roll up rear portion that has a screen over it? Replace it with smaller ones?
  • Eisenglass or Strataglass for the clear portions?  Is it possible to get the ripples out? 
So show me what you have done.  The only mod i had done was to split the front section of eisenglass into 3 pieces with one that lines up with the section of windshield that opens.

It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2021
    If I could redo the camper top I would have it come down about 6” more on each side like a clamshell hood. I think it would look better and it would also make it easier to remove the curtains. 

Edit: I would have a piece of lexan stitched into the edge like a collar stay to act as a drip edge. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, I would definitely go with more overlap, especially at the places where corners meet. That has always been problematic for me with dripping water coming in as it sheds off the top. The Velcro overlaps never seem to work. Too small and doesn't overlap enough - but I think as @YYZRC says, a bigger overlap/clamshell top would take care of it.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Ditch the snaps!  Stayput shock cords are the best way to attach canvas at the bottom.  Once you try them, you'll never go back.  Snaps are needed only for the windshield.  
  • Options
    I agree with @larea that the Stayput are good but you can install them on a flap so that they are not visible. They are so ugly. 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    My rear side panels are solid canvas instead of plastic windows.  Instead of removing them, I just roll them up and secure them with straps just below the hardtop.  You could probably do the same with a bimini.  

I never remove any sections of canvas.  If I need fresh air, it takes two minutes to roll up the canvas.  When I'm leaving after the weekend, it takes two minutes to close it up.  It's so much easier than using a cockpit cover.  

• Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    The original canvas was one piece across the transom to the left of the door panel in the picture and solid canvas on the right which blocked the sight line. On the new canvas I split it into 2 pieces and added clear plastic in the corner, The 2 aft side panels I made into roll down with netting to create a cross breeze when all panels are down

The front section center panel is removable or roll up slightly wider than the windshield door, it makes it easier passing through or passing up or down the sun pad. The center piece has vertical velcro strips that attach to the outside of the side panels.
    I also changed the way the 2 top panels attach to the arch by having approximately 2" strips that attach to the arch through tubing and then zippers to attach the tops.
    I did not go with Eisenglass because when I am driving I am looking through the windshield most of the time. I had it on my last boat but found it harder to handle in cold weather.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    My understanding is that eisenglass is the norm. There are different thicknesses though. Strata glass is supposedly stiffer and clearer.
    Post edited by davidbrooks on
  • Options
    My clear plastic is the same all around, I don't find it a problem seeing through it. But I know a lot of boaters prefer the more expensive glass and I understand that.
  • Options
    Who did your canvas @Grahamu ? It looks really well done. 
  • Options
    @YYZRC, it's Bumblebee Canvas out of Port Credit, I don't think they go away from the Lake Ontario shoreline locally. Some boaters bring their boats to their shop 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Ugh. It is impossible to find a good canvas shop that isn’t either (a) entirely arrogant and unwilling to work to customer specs or (b) booked up for decades or (c) starts at $10k

I’m in limbo as I need all new canvas but I don’t know whether waiting to see if Ameritex reopens is prudent. Very frustrated.  
  • Options
    I thought about waiting. However when I looked at the cost I'd have to put into an oem piece I decided I would rather put that money into something that was designed a little better. I am currently just interviewing shops here around annapolis. As my old guy retired. So far I've called three shops and only one has even returned my phone call.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    Ugh. It is impossible to find a good canvas shop that isn’t either (a) entirely arrogant and unwilling to work to customer specs or (b) booked up for decades or (c) starts at $10k

I’m in limbo as I need all new canvas but I don’t know whether waiting to see if Ameritex reopens is prudent. Very frustrated.  
    I am at that point as well. I need all new and this waiting game sucks. I was prepared to pull the trigger this year with Ameritex and we all know that didn’t happen. Hopefully they will catch up and start taking orders soon. If not, I will have to go custom. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!