Options

Bad Battery: CO detector

Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
Went to see my buddy's new to him sailboat on Saturday. Got to the boat and the CO detector was going off. Seemed odd as no engine was on, no engine was running anywhere in the canal. Moved detector outside, level went back down.... moved it back to cabin and went off again. I told him to check his batteries and WOW the smell was horrible and the CO level on the detector shot up even more. His house battery was super hot to the touch and was emitting some liquid. It was promptly moved to the dock. Thank heavens we decided to check out the boat or he may have had a boat fire that night. Battery was 2015 so it was due, he is replacing the batteries and charger.

I knew that batteries emitted gas, believe hydrogen? But I didn't realize it was CO or a gas that could set off a detector. Good lessons learned...
07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Wow, thanks for posting.  I'm not sure I'd have ever guessed a battery could set off the CO detector.  Good thing you also did your checks back in the cabin that something was not right.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of things will set off a CO detector besides CO: ethanol is one.  You end up with chemical reactions happening in the air. 

CO detectors have a max 10 year life too!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CO for a lead acid battery sounds strange to be honest. It could happen if it is getting so hot that it is burning material though ... that's what might have happened.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like Mark stated, it had to be burning something. Not necessarily a fire, but a smolder. I had a battery fry at the end of the season a few years ago. Opened up the boat after two weeks and had an overwhelming smell of sulfur. Was heading to a boatgate and was glad that I had two house batteries. Moved one over to the starting side and made it to the game. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Yes, most CO detectors will detect hydrogen gas from a failed battery.  A couple years ago when my bow thruster battery started cooking down, I found it because of the smell -- but my CO detector went off too.  

Interesting article on this topic:
    https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/gear/why-an-activated-carbon-monoxide-alarm-may-indicate-a-battery-charging-issue-79661
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting article, I sent it to my buddy for his sailboat :) Good to know that hydrogen gas will set off most CO detectors. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)