Options

Solar Lithium Iron Phosphate Power Generator

Is anyone using Solar Charging Battery Power Sources as a Generator on their boat? What options exist for use instead of a small 5Kw gasoline\deisel\propane generator?  Looking for something that does not require a number of solar panels in series to recharge power.

Comments

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think you will find anything meeting your requirements unfortunately to replace a generator.  Trickle charge something sure.

"Looking for something that does not require a number of solar panels in series to recharge power."
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Briggs and Stratton is really pushing these lithium generators.  I kind of spaced during in the training school this year while they talked about it but the power outputs and capacity on some of their units were pretty much limited by your space/weight limits. They are expandable. Their target is commerical/industrial and military use at the moment, not so much the guy going tailgating or camping. 

While I don't see them running more than a newer energy efficient  5k btu ac for more than 4 to 8 hours  I do think it would give you a night of TV/music and morning coffee along with plenty of cooling fans.  

I've not looked into any marine or ignition protection ratings on them, without those ratings using them below deck on a gasser boat would be a no no.  Sitting on the deck would be fine for me, ymmv.  

These generators are so sophisticated that Briggs and Stratton was proud to announce a new firmware update to repair some kind of charging issue they were having. 

If I were using this as an off the grid/on the hook  generator on say an around the world sailboat I'd still want wind and solar to top off one of these generators so I wouldn't need to run the inboard genny as often. 
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Unless there is a specific and proven (approved) thermal runaway containment system for something like this I’ll stick to AGM’s. Seeing a fire in the rear of a B787 from an insufficiently contained thermal runaway is not a pretty sight.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Griffs_AboardGriffs_Aboard Member Posts: 15
    YYZRC  - That is exactly what I am looking for\considering.  Intent is an afternoon at beach or over night without shore power. Option for Solar Panels for longer periods is a requirement as well. Could not get to the Toronto Boat Show in 2021  because of the US \ CA border close. Hopefully I can get across the Boarder for January 2022 show; its one of the best in the North East.
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Not  "marine" but since the announcement of all gas power equipment being banned from California in 2024 there is a huge push for battery power in my field. My online sales to Cali doubled this month.

Check out what Stihl and Ford have come up with on the new ev f150
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    So i got hooked on a youtube series about a young couple that bought a salvaged 49 ft Beneteau sailboat and repaired it and are now sailing and living off the grid.  They are actually an inspiration.  While i would have to trade in my current Admiral for a new one to tackle the same thing i have to say i am jealous.   I liked watching the repair process and all the hardwork.  If you are interested it is Expedition Evans at https://www.youtube.com/c/ExpeditionEvans.  In the last episode they got a donation of a whole new Lithium Iron system.  Had to google the difference between Lithium Ion vs Iron.  Basically what caught my eye was the fact there was no hardened battery box. Just fiberglass.  I had never heard of the company before either.  They are out of Arizona.   Battle Born Batteries.  https://battlebornbatteries.com/marine-systems/.  The site has a ton of informative information, bundles and from what i can see the prices seem to be really good in comparison to other marine brands i typically see.  I am still not ready to spend that kind of money.  My Duracell Deep cycle 31's from Sams Club cost $99 each for 100Amp Hrs.  Lithium Iron costs $800 for 100 Amp hrs.  I get it that they are lighter and can be recharged a lot more but $200 every 2-3 yrs vs $1600 now.  They would have to last 10 yrs to be worth it.  Am i not interpreting the math right on amps between lead acid and Lithium Iron?
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I read today that Lithium Iron are being used in the Chinese built short range Model 3s and the long range use Lithium Ion. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    @davidbrooks you are interpreting the math correctly.  Only other thing to add in the equation is if the lithium last longer per charge, thus saving on running the generator.  Other thing is, I can usually get 4-5 years out of the Sam's club batteries. :smile:It does sound like an interesting topic.  I'd love to get on a boat and just go for years. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express