98 Fiesta Vee 266 - 5.7L - outdrive question

TomfooleryTomfoolery Member Posts: 20
Just bought this boat - first powerboat I've ever owned, so newbie to this world - it's different from the sailboat world, which is what I'm used to. No trailer, so she's in the water. How do I find out which outdrive I've got? Need to buy a zinc kit for her so when I haul her next week, I can replace them. Don't KNOW that the zincs need replacement, but the person that owned her before me ... well, let's just say that other than changing the oil and plugs on the engine, she's been seriously neglected for the past 2 years or so and hasn't been out of the water in that time.

Comments

• GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    Make and serial # of the engine and drive?
  • TomfooleryTomfoolery Member Posts: 20
    I've got the serial number of the engine (at home, not here with me though), but not of the drive. It's a Mercruiser 5.7L ... original engine, so 1998.

• Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    Need just a bit more info on drive. Is it an Alfa or bravo drive?  If bravo is it a bravo 1, 2 or 3
    This is where I get mine
    https://www.boatzincs.com/mercruiser-zinc.html
  • Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    Also salt water, fresh or brackish
    With the serial number of the engine the original drive information will be available.
    She's been in salt water her whole life, I believe. I'll get that serial number and post it when I get home... 

• PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Is she still in salt water? The reason they ask is the zincs are different for salt vs fresh water. I also came from sailboats so i didnt know this either until i joined this forum.

Yes... salt water will be her life with me as well with the exception of occasional forays up rivers and into creeks and estuaries...

Is she still in salt water? The reason they ask is the zincs are different for salt vs fresh water. I also came from sailboats so i didnt know this either until i joined this forum.

Only thing I saw on boatzincs was, aluminum is supposedly better for salt water than zinc... is that the difference?

Pat310 said:
    Need just a bit more info on drive. Is it an Alfa or bravo drive?  If bravo is it a bravo 1, 2 or 3
    This is where I get mine
    I'm trying to find out if it's an Alpha or a Bravo so I can order the kit... 
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tilt the drive all the way up and see how many props you have. That will narrow it down quickly. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In general, anodes will be zinc for salt water, aluminum for brackish, and magnesium for fresh.  However, water chemistry varies with location.  Best bet:  ask owners or mechanics in your marina what metal they use for anodes. 

She's been in the water for two years with little attention?  I'd bet good money that the outdrive paint has failed, and corrosion is chomping away on all that yummy aluminum.  When you haul out, set aside a block of time for scraping and painting.  And you'll probably need to have the hull cleaned too.  

You'll probably need to scrape and paint annually ... especially if you have a Bravo 3 with stainless steel propellers.  Look up "dissimilar metal corrosion" for details.  
    Great tips all... thank you.
    Grahamu said:
    With the serial number of the engine the original drive information will be available.

Engine serial number - OL064409
    LaRea said:
    In general, anodes will be zinc for salt water, aluminum for brackish, and magnesium for fresh.  However, water chemistry varies with location.  Best bet:  ask owners or mechanics in your marina what metal they use for anodes. 

She's been in the water for two years with little attention?  I'd bet good money that the outdrive paint has failed, and corrosion is chomping away on all that yummy aluminum.  When you haul out, set aside a block of time for scraping and painting.  And you'll probably need to have the hull cleaned too.  

You'll probably need to scrape and paint annually ... especially if you have a Bravo 3 with stainless steel propellers.  Look up "dissimilar metal corrosion" for details.  

Already set up to have her hauled next week and pressure washed immediately. Then, she'll be on the hard for a month or so for bottom scraping, sanding, painting. I plan on replacing the zincs then, and I'll have the yard go over the outdrive to make sure it's ok...

I'm in the southern Chesapeake Bay and currently plan on keeping it in the slip year 'round. Spring, summer, fall, bottom will be cleaned regularly (monthly while the water's warm) and zincs checked regularly, and I'm currently planning on hauling it for bottom maintenance every other winter. Upon hauling, I'll be replacing zincs as necessary...
    Your engine was sold by  Mercury in March 1998 but it was never registered. It is listed as Mercruiser 5.7L Bravo. You will need to determine if it's a Bravo 1, 2 or 3. When you haulout see if a serial # is visible on the drive. You will not have a problem get zinc anodes once you have that info.
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    Tilt the drive all the way up and see how many props you have. That will narrow it down quickly. 

Agree with @YYZRC . If you lift the drive up and see two propellers piggy backing each other it’s a Bravo 3 .
    2008 330EC
    Pat310 said:
    This is where I get mine
    Pat, yes, that's where I was looking... I don't know if it's an Alpha or Bravo drive. I never thought to ask (new to powerboats), but I don't think the guy would have known anyway. It was his first boat ever, and he neglected it. Not because he was lazy, but because he just didn't know.

Turns out, it's a Bravo III outdrive. Bottom was REALLY bad - oysters growing, mussels growing, sea sponge colonies, lotsa hanging seaweed. It's all cleaned off / scraped now and awaiting new bottom paint... Outdrive seems to be in decent shape once the barnacles and such were scraped off, but the Mercruiser mechanic is going to pull it and inspect it, do maintenance, and make sure everything is good to go. That'll happen next week before it goes back in the water. 

• PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice score on the B3.  That's the most desirable of the mercruiser outdrives