Atwood hitch on a Rinker trailer for Captiva 192

rkinrossrkinross Pittsburgh PAMember Posts: 144 ✭✭
I just purchased a used Captiva 192 and it came with a matched JQTX Rinker trailer.  The problem I am having is the amount of noise I am getting from the hitch when I go over bumps or bad pavement at 50 mph.  It almost seems like the 2 inch ball is bouncing around inside the coupler.  Another issue I had with the hitch was when I parked in my driveway on a slight down hill spot the tab that unhitches the ball would not budge.  I found on youtube that if you block the trailer wheels and pull the car foward it will unloce the coupler tab.  I was wondering if this is normal operation?

Comments

• WillhoundWillhound Lake Simcoe, Ontario, CanadaMember Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure it's not a 2 5/16" coupler?
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • halifax212halifax212 Halifax NS CanadaMember Posts: 457 ✭✭✭
    You probably have the same JQ trailer as mine. Start with greasing the fittings on the side of the coupler.  If backing you trailer on a slight incline, when you are in position, block the wheel and advance 6" . This will pull the coupler back out to tow position and easy to unlatch and uncouple. This is a normal operation. If it makes clunky noises all the time check to see if your brake lines need bleeding.  Could be too much free play before the actuator starts to engage.
  • rkinrossrkinross Pittsburgh PAMember Posts: 144 ✭✭
    @Willhound Thanks for your reply.  I am not sure, the prior owner told me it takes a 2 inch ball. 
    @halifax212 Thanks for your reply.  Will there be actual greese fittings that could be plugged into?  I did not see any.  The trailer has electric brakes, not hydrolic. I purchased a blue tooth brake controller when the trailer hitch was installed on my Highlander but have not used it yet.  I wanted to take the rig to a trailer shop and have them check out the condition of the brakes.  The car seems fine pulling the trailer without using the trailer brakes but the noise from the hitch is nerve wracking.
    @Willhound @halifax212 I went out to take pictures of the hitch.  Stamped into it, it says to use a 2 inch ball which is currently installed on the car.  It also says disc brakes which I assume are electric since the wiring to the car uses either a 4 prong or 7 prong plug.  I have been using a 4 prong plug since I want to get the brakes checked out before using them.
    Those are surge brakes, not electric.  I swapped out my old Atwood for Tie Down braking system.  The plug in to your vehicle(blue wire?) releases pressure on the actuator  which allows the ball component to move up into the coupler body allowing push back without locking up the brakes. 
    @halifax212 Do you think this is causing all of the noise when going over bumps and rough roads?  So the ball is actually moving in the coupler.
    I would tabs the time to bleed the brakes to make sure there is no free play , grease the mechanism that houses the coupler. They can be a bit noisy at times but most importantly ensure when compressing the actuator that the brakes are working.  
    @halifax212 Thanks for your input.  I took the boat and trailer to Anderson Sales and Service today to have the trailer inspected.  They think not enough tongue weight is causing the coupler to bounce up and down on the ball.  I will have to move the stopper roller up foward on the trailer to increase the tongue weight.