05 342 Transom Assembly fitting leak

Hello,

I bought an 05 342 at the beginning of the season this year, and am getting ready to pull it out. I recently noticed a leak on starboard side transom assembly. I believe it is the speedometer plug. Has anyone had this leak? It looks like there was a barb that snapped off and is now leaking. Should there be a hose connected to this, or a cap?

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The part with the yellow cap is the fitting that goes through that hole.  It's the pitot tube for the speedometer.  

• cburn255cburn255 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2021
    Thanks. Is it supposed to capped/sealed off? Is water leaking in from there a sign that something is clogged?

If nothing is connected to it, is it being used? What feeds the dash speed gauge?
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pitot sensor has a plastic tube that goes to a hole on the leading edge of the outdrive leg.  The other end of the tube (inside the engine room) connects to a sensor.  As the boat speeds up, air pressure builds up inside the tube.  The pressure is what the speedometer reads.  

If your fitting is broken, you can just cap it off or plug it with putty such as butyl tape.