Options

2006 342 FV Srereo System

GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 867 ✭✭✭
I have 2 amplifiers, Clarion APX280M and APX 480M, and have no idea how they are connected to the speakers on the boat. I have downloaded the manuals but they are not much help. My cabin speakers and sub are working but in the cockpit the front and arch speakers are working but the 2 rear speakers are very faint and the sub is not working. I understand home systems but can not figure out the wiring for the boat. I am about to pull the 2 amps and have them checked unless someone has suggestions on what to check first or has wiring diagrams I can use. 

Comments

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    Is this while on shore power or battery? If your batteries are weak it won't drive the amp. 
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    On my 342 the two aft speakers are tied into the arch speakers. Sub however should be directly wired into the amp.
  • Options
    @davidbrooks, On shorepower or battery, my house bank is new this year and lots of reserved power. I assume the subs are wired into the 280 amp ?
  • Options
    I only have one amp so can't help you there. Sounds like you have some wire tracing in your future.
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    @Grahamu depends….if you just want to get the system working again. Likely the bigger amp is pooched - assume it runs the outside cockpit. One side will be bad or the cabling is bad.

But I would just consider replacing it all. The modern head units & digital features are night/day compared to the old stereo systems. You could have all new stuff installed fairly reasonably.
    Speakers are infinitely better now too. Kind of like comparing a Fiero & Tesla.
    Should be an easy retrofit for a good audio outfit.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    Anyone replaced the amps and with what brand and model?
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭
    JL Audio
    Fusion (Garmin)
    Wet Sounds
    Kicker

All good stuff.

We’ve got a 700w JL amp powering the 2 arch can speakers & 2X10” subs…and another 800w JL amp running the 6 cockpit speakers. Fusion deck & 2 wired Fusion remotes.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    Going over schematics supplied by @LaRea my problem could be connector C20, anyone know where it might be?

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    C20 is listed as stereo harness to deck harness, but I'm not sure where it lives.  Gotta be one of those big rectangular plugs.  

• Options
    @LaRea, Thanks probably close to the amplifiers I will check in spring boat all closed up now.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I put a Clarion 5 channel micro amp on my 280. Some had the cabin speakers wired to the front of the head unit. The rest were wired to the rear section of the head unit via the amps. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I think I finally found the answer, there is no Connector 20 on my boat. First mistake was assuming that the 2004 stereo schematic applied to a 2006, 342FV, not so completely different. The receiver drives the cabin speakers and sub, the small amp drives the forward cockpit and arch speakers all working. The large amp drives the aft cockpit speakers and the subwoofer, not working, amp needs replacing. It is a Clarion APX400M, 4 Channel amp. Channel 1/2 set to mono and 3/4 set to stereo. Do I replace it or do I replace both amps with a 5 channel amp?, suggestions?.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would replace with a 5 channel amp. That is what I did on my 280EC when I added a sub. I split the input signal going to the 6.5's and I use the sub out on my receiver to the 5th channel. Clarion makes a decent 5 channel amp. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    @Cableguy Greg I have looked at that one and a couple of others but I have noticed that some require 4 0r 6 AWG 12VDC supply cable and I'm going to check the wiring I presently have as I do not want to re-wire the  supply. Thanks for the suggestion.