Using Engine Water Pump to draw antifreeze into engine

john54724john54724 Member Posts: 2
If you warmed up the engine to get the t-stat opened, then connected 5 gal container of antifreeze to a hose connected to the water **** on the lower unit....wouldn't that draw and introduce the antifreeze fluid to ALL parts and hoses?  This would eliminate the need to pull all the drain plugs and hoses as is seen on most help videos...in theory, you should be left with the antifreeze in all the places water is normally found...  Thoughts?  1989 Captiva 186 w 4.3 Alpha 1
Thank you,
John

Answers

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, that’s how I do it. Here’s the kit I use.

Camco Do It Yourself Boat Winterizer- Quickly Winterize Marine Engines, Allows Flushing and Preparation of Boat Engine for Winter Storage (65501) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000AXQU2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_KHM5G419DYPTVD78PQGX
    2008 330EC
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a 5 Gal HD bucket that i just put a water valve on.  Short hose from it to outdrive on muffs. I Leave it sitting on swim platform and i can watch it suck up the 4 gallons and then shut off the engine.  I think it takes it less than a min.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 529 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Did my 4.3 with alpha that way for years with kit @aero3113 recommended.  Never a problem. Never removed the plugs to drain
  • john54724john54724 Member Posts: 2
    This method is sooo much faster and easier and less mess than pulling hoses and plugs...why is it not the method found in all the videos and help notes?
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I removed the thermostats and ran 4 gallons through. Then drained. 

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭✭
    I run the anti freeze in and at the end fog out the motor 
  • GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    I pay the marina to winterize my engines and genset it's cheap insurance. If they scew up they or my insurance company will pay to fix it.
  • alex8q4alex8q4 Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    This method does not eliminate the need to drain the water from your block and exhaust first.
    2006 342FV - Ontario
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my FW cooled 350s I always drained the raw system first and got 2-3 qt of water out of each engine. That gave me great peace of mind that the 4 gallons of antifreeze that followed in each engine was not diluted. But that said if I’d ran 5 or 6 gallons through I probably would have slept just as well :) 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

I drained first. A lot in there!!
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Run to temperature, drain the block, run with antifreeze, drain the block. Easy peasy. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    edited October 2021
    @YYZRC , do your engines overheat towards the end of the jug when you winterize? Mine do but run fine just on the water hose. Not enough pressure with just gravity. If not, I probably have to upgrade to a bigger hose like yours.
    2008 330EC
    The hose might not make a difference, look at the size of the hole on the mu@@s
    2008 330EC
    My engines were nearly cold when I did it. I removed the thermostats so I wouldn’t have to run it up to temp. 
    That’s right, forgot you did that.
    2008 330EC
    Mine sucked the jug in really fast - I would say under 30 seconds. 

Maybe your Hardin pumps are the problem?! 😬

Sorry, couldn’t resist!!
    You’re asking for it @YYZRC !
    Must be because your thermostats were removed, no restriction.
    2008 330EC
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alswagg said:
    Omg why are you making this so complicated??????  Just use the dang drain plugs and drain out the water.  That’s what they are intended to do.  No liquid no ice no breakage.  
    This is why winterizing is one of the few jobs I outsource!  Also, who doesn't love @Alswagg.  
    @Alswagg I’ve always used antifreeze in my engines. If I flushed the engines with fresh water then pulled all of the blue plugs I would be good to go? I’m raw water cooled if that changes anything. Would love it to be this simple!

One thing I do notice is that the lower block drains do clog. After I winterize, I stick a coat hanger in the barbs to see if they are clear.
    2008 330EC
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,549 mod
    @aero3113
    What Al is saying, if you flush your engines with fresh water, pull plugs, then flush with pink, pull plugs out again, you are good to go.  Nothing left in there to freeze (maybe a tad of pink in low lying areas, but room to expand).  Still very simple.

@LaRea How can someone that does all that to the engine room, not do their own winterizing? :wink:  I'll be finishing up my boat tomorrow (yes, a bit early as always).  Tomorrow is my one day miracle day.  I'll start at 7am, wax/buff the entire boat, then winterize, and finally put the framework & cover on.  Should be no more than a 12 hour day.  Actually, I've already waxed/buffed the hardtop, so I have a good jump on it.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Dream_Inn -- if I do my own winterizing, how will my mechanic pay for his son's college?  

Also, I usually winterize so late that the weather has already turned cold and miserable, so I'm glad to have him do it.  You are winterizing too early!  We have another month of boating left.  
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,549 mod
    LaRea said:
    @Dream_Inn -- if I do my own winterizing, how will my mechanic pay for his son's college?  

Also, I usually winterize so late that the weather has already turned cold and miserable, so I'm glad to have him do it.  You are winterizing too early!  We have another month of boating left.  
    Technically we have 2 months of boating left.  But, for me, we are usually ready to close up and enjoy a nice fireplace at home and some college football & a Caribbean trip in Nov.  I am also back in the water the first weekend in March.  But I get it, most people I know that go later have someone else winterize.  I'm too picky and have to make sure the boat is waxed and ready for spring, which takes a nicer fall day.  I had always said I'd do the Annapolis parade of lights in December.  Instead I had the best of both worlds - did it twice on someone else's boat (deal was to use my xmas lights and I'd help winterize).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express