Where are you buying your filters?

PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
I usually buy my filters from orileys for all my vehicles, boats and bobcats/kubotas we maintain for the shop owners other businesses. 

I buy wix. I get the commercial discount and they bring it to me.

Since covid hit and now all the strikes I've had issues getting wix filters.   I started searching ebay for wix filters as well as car quest and Napa as they are also made by wix.   

What I've found is a large selection of businesses selling off New old stock inventory.   An oil filter for my excursion,  usually  40 bucks I got for 25 shipped under the Napa label. 

I finished winterizing my holding tank this morning and decided to run the filter numbers 

I scored the primary fuel filter under the wix label for 10 bucks shipped. 

Make sure you're seeing pics of the actual product in original packaging as well as part numbers. The boxes are usually a little worn or faded but the filter is good to go. Also verify you see the o rings/hardware in the pics that usually comes in an extra bag. 

Hope this saves one of you enough cash to buy a cold one. 

Comments

• TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    I usually get my Quicksilver Oil Filters (#866340Q03) from Amazon.

This year they're $10.10, up from the $8.26 I paid last year...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014499WG

Always new stock.
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    I wish my filters were common chevy!  
  • GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    We have had this display for many years and customers ere surprised at the difference in filtration level from the Volvo filter and the after market ones.

• PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    It may have changed by now but I believe at some point quicksilver oil filters were made by  Fram or hastings.  This may have changed as contracts change once they are up. Different than your volvo but the same chevy motor.

Based on micron and flow rating you're likely to find amsoil HD or Fram HD filters out performing oem filters.  

The biggest perk to wix is they are made in the USA plus are a one of the leading o.e. suppliers for filters. 

Mann was at one time a volvo penta oem supplier.

Wix makes many of the oem outdoor power equipment filters and our largest aftermarket supplier sells wix made filters under their own part number at a much nicer price points for us . 

We have had the wix rep in here before.  I spent some time picking his brain.

Flow rate , micron size, check valve and pressue ratings are in my opinion a better way to compare oil filters over that of a visually inspection.   I can't see any of that in a side by side comparison. 

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get my Mercury/Quicksilver filters off Amazon. The local marine dealer doesn’t stock the Hi-Efficiency ones that I use. @Michael T turned me on to these #35-858004K
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Cableguy Greg is that just a larger filter than the normal Quicksilver filter or is there a different element in it also? I see it says “synthetic cleansing filter media”. Is it for synthetic oil only?
    2008 330EC
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is the same size filter, but a different media. I use semi synthetic oil, but you could use regular oil with it. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!