Shower drain routing?

Hi all, I have a 96 FV 266, and noticed when winterizing the shower drain would not drain. I have the pump mounted just inside this access that is more like a water pump, rather than the true shower box. I can barely get my fingers on the drain from the access port on the steps, and it looks like this drain runs forward a few feet, then back to the pump. I have no idea how I would get to the drain itself if it does not pop or unscrew, but cannot imagine that being the setup due to potential leakage. I am hoping to snake a piece of 1/8" cable in tomorrow to bust the clog, but am trying to plan ahead too. The pump turns on and seems to pump OK. I may also try to DC the drain line at the pump to confirm it is a clog. Any advice or helpful hints? Thanks!

Comments

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pic of the pump?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • diggerdpilotdiggerdpilot Member Posts: 4
    Coming later today...

• toolmaker312toolmaker312 Member Posts: 120
    On my 312 I accessed from the back birth bilge . The drain unscrews from the top. The hose was stiff enough where I could move drain bottom into place and my wife was able to screw the top of new one on. If it is not draining we had a sump bilge box it went into that the float was bad. Good luck

So, here is the pump mounted on the wall, going from the shower drain to the side of the boat just under the sink. I disconnected the intake hose via the ears on the hose (LIFESAVER!), and was relieved to hear bubbles almost instantly. Not sure if I had a light clog, or the pump is weak, but regardless, changing it wont be the worst job ever via the cabinet access. 

Here is the bigger problem if something starts to leak. This was taken in the blind with my phone, through the circular hatch in the steps. (Cannot remove steps in my 266) You can barely see the hose clamp on the shower drain, and I can get a couple of fingers on it from here. It is even worse from the other side via the cabinet/TP access. I am unsure if my drain screws in or pops in. If it screws in, I have no idea what to grab it with, but don't see a way to replace that hose from underneath. I am all ears for that if anyone has similar drains, but for now, I'm not fixing what ain't broke! Thanks for all the help!
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s not the correct pump for a shower drain. I suppose it might work but it is not proper. You need a shower sump. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 558 ✭✭✭
    @diggerdpilot how does the pump know to turn on?  Is there a manual switch in the head? Can’t wrap my head around now that would work without one. Is the pump below the drain? Never seen a setup like that. Probably previous owner install with what he had on hand
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,496 admin
    That looks like the raw water pump for the head 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,730 mod
    I think @raybo3 has it -- that looks like a pump that sends raw water to the toilet when you flush.  It's fed by a thru-hull fitting down near the keel somewhere.  

Normally, the shower drains into a sump pit that has a float-activated pump.  It looks like this:

SEAFLO 12v 750 GPH Shower Sump Pump System Automatic Float Switch Marine  Boat for sale online  eBay
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,655 mod
    I agree with Raybo and LaRea, you need to find a box similar to the picture.  The screen around the pump may just be clogged.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 880 ✭✭✭
    On my last boat the shower drain pump was activated by a switch straight overboard, no sump