Options

Waste tank vent

Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
I installed a vacuum vent on my 342 waste tank today. 3" hole saw, press in the seal ring and then the vent device. About 30 min total install time. Will be interesting to see how it works next pump out!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
PC BYC, Holland, MI
Post edited by Black_Diamond on

Comments

• Options
    ShaunShaun Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Let us know BD. I need to do the same.
  • Options
    frodo13056frodo13056 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    I installed one 4 seasons ago - saved my tank from imploding for sure!
  • Options
    RWBLACK6RWBLACK6 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    B.D.:  Thinking of doing the same.  Did you access the tank by way of bottom of port bench storage?
  • Options
    I actually crawled into the port storage seating area, the deck plate towards the aft actually had enough room to get in with a power drill and the hole saw attached.  Once I got into position, it was pretty easy and fast.  Aside from the odour you get to sample.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BA, any pics or a link to what you used?

RY, Interesting pvc adapter solution. So what's a pop vent for $15. can't wrap my head around it at Lowes/HD. ??
    Thanks, Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Yan, how did you attach the threaded flange?  Where you able to access it from within the tank or did you glue it on top?  I'd also like to see some pictures from both you and BD.  I may have to think about this myself.  I'm always a bit uneasy about drawing too much too quickly out of my tank.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Ahh yes, I remember the lectra san post. Great find on the tank vent. Off to Lowes/HD for a vent and a few fittings. Nice inexpensive mod to improve on that soda straw of a tank vent.
    Thanks, Mike

EDIT: out of stock at the big box so here's the Amazon link  (LINK)
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
  • Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    I installed one of those tank saver valves and they don't work that well if your tank is narrow and tall... I always supervise the process and ask the attendant to go slow and when it stops pumping kill the vacuum immediately. I had mine collapsed again last weekend because I was distracted... I also found out these tanks are made of Polyethylene. At this time there isn't any adhesive made that works with these tanks so be careful of epoxies and etc. However, the good news is they are made out of one piece of polyethylene and are rated by the industry as indestructible. I always say...time will tell.
  • Options
    I installed Sealand part number 255247.

On ebay: 

Drill a 3" hole, press in the tapered rubber gasket, press in the relief valve.  That simple.  I would not think tank shape make any difference, you are just looking at some simple fluid mechanics :) if you can replace the fluid with air at the same rate, there is no pressure difference, and air moves a lot better than water/waste through a given opening.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    BD, I like the idea of what you have, especially if it seals well.  My only thought, does it let air go both ways?  In other words, it is not a one way valve?  It looks like it has some type of filter on it?  Is there something in it that would need replaced after time?

• Options

@Dream_Inn: it is a one-way valve (spring loaded).  there is just a piece of foam mesh over the top, nothing to replace.  It probably is just to keep from any larger particles getting sucked in and keeping the valve open. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Thanks BD, I assumed it had to be something like that but you never know.  That defintely seems like the way to go.  Did it seal nicely?  I just don't want to put a 3" hole in my tank and in 5 years the thing dries up, falls out and won't stay in.....wondering what to do with the big smelly hole.  (I know you can't tell me it won't happen in 5 years, but I think you get my drift)

• Options
    @Deram_Inn: the rubber plug has an outward facing taper, so it 'locks' into the hole.  When you press in the valve body, is expands it and it seats good from what I can tell.  I would have a hard time thinking it would pop out.  Worse case in a few years I pop in a new one, I know what you mean about drilling a 3" hole..a bit scary!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    I installed Sealand part number 255247.

On ebay: 

Drill a 3" hole, press in the tapered rubber gasket, press in the relief valve.  That simple.  I would not think tank shape make any difference, you are just looking at some simple fluid mechanics :) if you can replace the fluid with air at the same rate, there is no pressure difference, and air moves a lot better than water/waste through a given opening.

BD that's the same valve I installed and I agree with your theory...however, it takes considerable suction to activate that valve... I watched my tank collapse with the valve installed so it won't work as you think in very case... Just my experience with these valves.... Secondly, the tank doesn't collapse when it is full... it collapses when it's empty. My suggestion to the folks here, when you stop seeing the fluid going through the hose...stop pumping immediately...
  • Options
    ok, not to start an old topic back up, but has anyone had their tank show some collapse? It looks like the one side of mine got sucked in a little (somewhat like the creases of a paper bag). I used a really good pumpout myself, letting it vent here and there, but maybe not enough. I'm just curious if it getting filled up will get it back in place. & wouldn't you know it, I found the valve you all are talking about when I was replacing some seals on the head the other day and thought hmm, I hadn't done that yet. Only good news is that my tank is in a really simple place to replace.

• Options
    edited June 2014

After reading the other thread I purposefully watched the tank as the pumpout was done a few weeks ago and it'd be a pretty brutal event if not stopped/paused every 10-15sec or so to let the tank equalize for 10-15sec. It was sucking it inward like a paper bag and certainly would damage the tank if you endlessly pump a suction.

It's a monster suction pump on the dock and your vent (of any kind) simply can't compete. The tank vent may help but it better be supervised and make the guy (or yourself) pause to give your tank a min to revert back to it's normal state before continuing. Just my observation because an inquiring mind wants to know this stuff... :D

• Options

Mine is really hard to see...but I would think it should flex back out once more full.  I try to watch the pump outs and get breaks in, but the tank saver seems to help 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Thanks guys. The marina I was in had one of these great pumpouts that were located about every 50 feet on all the docks. Was a really great setup. Well, I really got her clean and ran fresh water thru and pumped a bunch, but definitely released the seal for sure every 10 seconds. But let me tell you, that baby emptied what was 3/4 full tank (45 gal) very quick. I will definitely keep an eye on the tank and make sure all is ok with it. I've already priced a new one just in case. If she fills up and looks ok, I'll put the new relief valve I have on it.

• Options
    RY, should've showed you my engine room when you came by. Actually, we should've went down in for a drink. It is my man cave on the boat. I can easily get it right out of there with nothing in it's way.

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

dang, an engine room that's a man cave...no way in my 270 although there is plenty of room to root around and work on stuff but no man cave room!

• Options

Mine has some room in it for a few days... :D

• Options

I bet a keg fits in there well, pack it with ice, bilge drain plug removed to let the water out..party time!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Going to the boat tomorrow morning. Thanks for the idea BD I'll be taking along a tape measure. MT

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014

I will RY, think it's okay though but WILL check and report back. Thx. MT
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tiki, why did you pull your aft lounger? 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    edited July 2014

Bad engine coupler. I didn't stop w the rear seat, it was only the beginning.  The OD and motor came out last weekend and I just dropped the motor back in 30 mins ago.  OD and seat go back in later today after the heat index gets below parboil/fried  chicken.  

I did find out that the engine alignment was WAY out since the orig factory installation. Good enough reason to pull the drive on all of them and personally watch to see if an alighnment tool is even used before reinstalling. I had my suspicions and bought the tool only to be shocked at what I found.

I'll update the misalignment details on the bad coupling thread.

Happy 4th...... or not for you Canadians. :D

Post edited by TikiHut2 on
  • Options

That's what killed mine too, and I was paying to have it checked...I suspect they never did it. 2 finger pull is the ideal. Misalignment is a killer of any coupling and the attached equipment. The goal to align a coupling is zero degrees angular and .00 inch parallel misalignment. I could chat this topic up well...the hazard of being in the coupling business. lol

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tiki we will be down In Tampa for 4 days next week for business. Not sure we will have time to say hello. May need to wait until we are down in August. Get that boat working in the meantime. Lol. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options

Mark, I'll be in DC next week business/pleasure. We'll catch you in August. MnK

• Options
    Tiki, hoping that extra room goes away soon! (was changing out my battery charger yesterday (admiral took at nap at the helm) & she woke up to 6 guys standing around the engine hatch - two down in and four more hanging around). She got a kick out of it! When the engine hatch goes up, we all gather! :smile: