Tired of paying a ton of $$ for cell service?? C'mon in.

J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2021 in Non-Boating Related
I'm going to make this quick and clear, because I can't believe how much people pay for cell service. 

The five of us in my family have been paying 25/month (each) for unlimited cell service that uses verizon towers. It also includes unlimited hotspot.  We were paying hundreds before this, now it's been 125/month for the past 3 years.

If you want to do the same check out visible wireless. https://www.visible.com/

If you want your first month for 5 bucks, I'll get a month for 5 bucks for that month as well... you can PM me for the little code you need when checking out. 

That's it, no hard sell, it's 25/month including taxes and fees.  My download speed sitting in Florida today at work was 101mbs down on 4g

LMK if you want to know anything else. 
Post edited by J3ff on

Comments

• Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    Where I live in Arizona, companies that are "piggy backing" off of Verizon's towers aren't given a priority signal so to speak.   It affects the overall signal a LOT here.  I live in northern Arizona with huge mountains (12,700 ft) 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Lake_Bum said:
    Where I live in Arizona, companies that are "piggy backing" off of Verizon's towers aren't given a priority signal so to speak.   It affects the overall signal a LOT here.  I live in northern Arizona with huge mountains (12,700 ft) 
    Sure, they all do that, the difference here is, visible IS verizon wireless. It's just their new experimental backend system. I haven't posted this because it was kind of a test. Now, after 2+ years, it's no longer an experiment. It works, it's cheap and it's fast! 

https://www.verizon.com/about/news/what-visible

I'd love if someone would use my code and I'd pay 5/month for a few months. But, I'd love it as well if you guys just started saving cash and stopped paying CRAZY high prices for cell service..   
    This isn't de prioritized 4g.

Used a few different test servers.

• TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    I've been paying $130/month (for four phones all-in, tax included) for unlimited talk/text for years with Cricket - which is owned by and part of the AT&T network. And we have always been getting whatever the fastest service available for the area is (now 5G).

I think all the big companies are starting to do "mini me's" to justify price reductions. If they lowered the prices on the flagship, people would be up in arms. 

On a side note, Inc. magazine did a story yesterday about how Verizon automatically opts in all users for tracking all activity - even if you have tracking turned off on your iPhone. It can be turned off but you have to contact Verizon directly and they make you jump through a few hoops to do it.
    edited December 2021
    TonyG13 said:
    I've been paying $130/month (for four phones all-in, tax included) for unlimited talk/text for years with Cricket - which is owned by and part of the AT&T network. And we have always been getting whatever the fastest service available for the area is (now 5G).

I think all the big companies are starting to do "mini me's" to justify price reductions. If they lowered the prices on the flagship, people would be up in arms. 

On a side note, Inc. magazine did a story yesterday about how Verizon automatically opts in all users for tracking all activity - even if you have tracking turned off on your iPhone. It can be turned off but they make you jump through a few hoops to do it.
    So - want to save 30/month? 360 a year?   :D if you count the 80 dollars savings you'd get in the first month by using referral codes (there's a whole section on reddit with them) you'd be at saving 400+ in your first year. 
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Sounds like a great deal Jeff.  Right now my wife and kids (work pays for mine) are all on tracfone.  It is about $100 per year (including a new phone each year - easy to buy on HSN), total.  But definitely limited on data.  All 3 of them though usually have wifi wherever they are, so not a big deal.  The $25 for one phone, for my wife, though sounds interesting for sure.  I'd like to have the hotspot (my work phone doesn't allow me to do that) to use on boat to connect for some college football in the fall, and some NHL in the spring.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^ I promise you that it’s worse in Canada ^^
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
    shawnmjr said:
    The only problem with a lot of people switching is the stupid contracts we are locked into and big cancellation fees. I believe most companies when you get a new upgraded phone it starts a new contract. Back in the day we would get the phone free or for a $100 with a signed contract. Now we are paying $1,300 for a new iPhone and we have to sign a contract to pay a rediculous amount of money for cell service. 
    Forgot to add that in - no contracts with visible aside from if you choose the pay per month for your phone. In that example you would have to pay out the rest of what you owe on the phone, but there are no contracts for the actual service. I brought my own phone.  There's even a way to make hot spots work on this service (even though they don't sell them... ) which I have done in the past. Got tired of paying the extra 25 for a boat hot spot and cancelled 3 months in, no ETF. 
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Verizon don't work where I am either. Had to switch to ATT
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The hot spot part of this interests me. Have wanted a boat hot spot. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boat hotspot is great. I bought this at the end of last season along with an outdoor antenna. Hoping it pulls a better signal than my phone. 

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
    Yes I just use the phone as a hot spot. It's unlimited data just like the phone, again no extra charges, just 25 flat a month. The only catch is that you can only connect one thing at a time. 
    My iPhone just does not seem to get the same speed/width as a hotspot as a jet pack. I am not phone techie but something is different there....

• skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Do what I do and have work pay for your cell service and hotspot.  Lol
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    Lol they provide my phone/hot spot….. but they don’t do jet packs  :'(