Big Bummer at the Boat Ramp

Went up to the Mississippi with our 246  yesterday and while driving through the parking lot towards the ramp, a fellow who was standing there mentioned there was a lot of noise coming from my trailer. I got out to inspect and discovered, much to my dismay, that the brake caliper on the right rear wheel had divorced itself from the axle and was captured between the wheel rim and rotor. The brake line was severed. I launched the boat to lighten the load on the trailer and jacked up the trailer, removed the wheel and was able to extract the caliper. One bolt was missing, the other had twisted off and part of the cast iron casting was broken! Any way, what my question is, and I have tried to search for an answer elsewhere to no avail, on a tandem axle trailer with 4 wheel disc brakes, if one axle should fail, is there a check valve or any other mechanism that maintains function on the other axle's brakes? I'll be trying to get parts come monday morning, but we did have plans for labor day weekend and I don't know if I can get replacement parts before then.

Comments

• bat32bat32 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    I would start with the trailer manufacturer.

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ideally, a 4-wheel hydraulic brake system on a trailer should have (2) circuits either front/rear axle or making an "x" pattern so you do not lose all your braking system.

Sounds like the mounting bolts failed or were improperly installed on the caliper,pretty rare for one to come off.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

OK, upon further investigation, crawling around under the trailer, and jacking up one of the front wheels, spinning it, then pushing in the surge actuator, I've concluded there is no brake function. There is no "X" pattern or metering/proportioning or check valves, just a "T" for the front axle, a "T" to split the line to the rear, and a "T" for the rear. Not too safe if you should have an issue with one or another axle. My wife asked if I needed to have been checking the mounting bolts. I told her that was not something that you would typically need to be concerned about. I too thought it rare. I'm 60 and I used to work as an auto mechanic at one time and I've owned dozens of cars and talk with car guys and I've never heard of a caliper falling off under ordinary circumstances. Extreme 4 wheeling maybe, but a trailer that is only 6 years old & only used on weekends 4 months out of the year? I was able to get in touch with the manufacturer and forwarded to a parts warehouse and have the caliper ordered. Hopefully it will arrive in a couple of days and I can get it mounted, bleed the system and still be able to haul the boat to Missouri this coming weekend as planned.

Wow..I would have thought it would have had a dual circuit from the surge master cylinder, if not two master clinders (they are pretty small), I know they exist.

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you cap a line to one, you're going to want to cap the opposing side as well... I figured I'd start with that bit of info, to stress it's importance.. you can go to a parts store and purchase a high pressure line and cap that will eliminate that axles hydraulic flow- making you rely on the braking power of one axle instead of two.. it can be done, but I advise you to be mighty careful while driving that way...
  • Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Thanks Drew,

That was my alternate plan if the caliper does not arrive in time.

• Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    Good Luck Glassguy...where there is a will there is a way
    L-)
  • TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    If it had to break, better at the ramp parking lot than on the side(or middle) of the highway. The only thing that'd beat the ramp would've been breaking at home. After reading your post I just pulled mine yesterday in preparation of finally using the boat for the upcoming season and all the discs were sticky from sitting for 3mths. Heat from a dragging disc can sure kill a casting.

I use a $29 IR heat gun to check my tires, hubs and brakes on the road or if I'm worried and it's a real breeze. Also beats putting my finger on a 200* hub or for getting into tight spots like those disc calipers.

For all you guys about to strap 'em out for the season, here's a BIG boat STRAP bummer. Authentic?? maybe/maybe not, but still a crazy image that makes you think that it could be worse ;) :

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WoW! If the pic is real, that guy had the ride of his life!
    2008 330EC
  • pepmysterpepmyster Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    Are you saying that there are tricked photos on the net????????????  Tell it's not so.......

All I've wanted was to just have fun.

The truth is on the internet. Somewhere!

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hijack this post but these videos look real! http://youtu.be/bYJ-BVxEuWo
    2008 330EC