Options

270 batteries and shore power

2»

Comments

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed - no need to go crazy. If you are getting what you need out of your current batteries no need to change/upsize. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's what I'm sayin @mbnarney...the labels were not good @YYZRC and @Grahamu but I hope those that know what they are looking get what I have!
  • Options
    Looks like a Group 24 and Group 27 based on the model numbers on the labels.
  • Options
    The only perceived power problem I've had is winless operation.  Hardly ever used which may be the problem- retrieving would keep blowing the breaker. I had been through the wiring and replaced the switch when I purchased the boat so I think wiring is good.
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the same windlass issue and I have since replaced my batteries but ever since then we have not anchored. I think the issue was a weak battery and it was putting all the load on the alternator. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    So, I really don't know any more from looking at my batteries other than the physical size, not power. Got more work to do...
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Just get a battery that can crank a 350 don't give it much thought. Looks like I have a 650 CCA battery for my 496. 

The house battery just needs to be deep cycle and get however many AH you want. I wouldn't go below 100AH and that may be the lowest available anyway. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mercury recommends 1000MCA for their engines. Not sure why one would purchase a battery with less. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I know what CCA is, what is mca @Cableguy Greg
  • Options
    Marine Cranking Amps.  MCA is calculated at 32F and CCA at 0F.
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    1000 MCA is equivalent to 800 CCA. I would get a group 24 850 CCA cranking battery and the largest group 27 deep cycle 12volt available
  • Options
    Got ya...thanks for the info guys. I should be cruising this weekend as the boat is in the water! Just don't trust the batteries to go far...
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    @rasbury New batteries are not fully charged, turn on your battery charger after installing the new ones. Check the  settings and charge for a few hours before leaving the dock.
  • Options
    And no one commented on how clean my terminals are....
  • Options
    Got the two from auto zone no problem. 200 bucks with tax afyer I return the cores which are now 18 bucks each-
  • Options
    New batteries are in. They were hooked up backwards...genny cable was also on the house battery....there were two other small leads on the house that I just moved to the starter... not sure what it is for. No other leads on the batteries.  Might take a day off this week when we have a nurse and enjoy the river for a day...see how work goes.. 🤔 
  • Options
    The two small leads might be your drive tilt pump motor.
  • Options
    ah... @Grahamu... I bet your right....but if it is wired to one battery then would that battery not have to be on to use it? Just about all the other functions on the boat electrically seem to work with either batter on except for the ignition. Either way, probably does not belong on the house battery then anyway! Solved that problem but found either my impeller or coupler for the genney is not working...but at least it fired up! Just no water...so rebuild that with new fuel filter, plugs and cathode or what ever you call it....
  • Options
    My wires are on the start batteries, 2 engines. As they are wired direct it bypasses the switch so you can raise and lower the drives as needed.
  • Options
    Now that you mention it...I think one of the leads was on one battery and the other on the other ( who was it that said to take pictures?), would that explain why it worked on either battery? I no crap about electricity...other than it is painful sometimes...
  • Options
    @rasbury, is one wire on a positive terminal and the other on a negative terminal on the other battery? If so change so they are both on the same battery. If they are both positive it would suggest that you have 2 "loads" wired direct. My only suggestion for this is to remove one wire at a time and see what doesn't work.
  • Options
    I m pretty sure one was red and one was black but will double check! I did start the motor and nothing went up in smoke...yet!
  • Options
    Ah, forgot to look...but, did top off the fluids...fire it up and went on a little ride. Beautiful day, about 75, clear, a little breeze. Boat stuttered and spit a bit..has about a half tank of fuel,, have of that prob is seafood (JK). And then it ran pretty good- about 2 hours on the water then back to the marina- I could get used to a slip. Anyway, end of the story on this one.  
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    That’s a big boat to trailer