Options

Does your larger Rinker cruiser have non-compliant nav lights?

LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
I just realized that my 370 has illegal nav lights.  I'm wondering how many others (370, 390, 400, 410, 420) might be the same.   

The main problem is that I have a white all-around light on the hardtop.  Rule 23 says that's only allowed for boats with an LOA shorter than 12 meters.  My 2007 370 is 40 feet (12.2 meters) long.  So I am required to have a 225-degree masthead light mounted forward, and a 135-degree sternlight.  The all-around light is not legal. 

The other problem is that the original lights aren't bright enough to be legal. A couple years ago, I upgraded my nav lights to the brighter 3-mile and 2-mile lights.  I did it to improve safety.  Well, now I realize that Rule 22 actually requires those lights for a 12-meter boat. 

This picture shows two green sidelights shining on a wall:  a new 2-mile light and the original light.  Can you guess which is the new 2-mile light?

Comments

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Isn't that the same issue with under water transom lights and people using them while running?  I always thought so and read that
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting. I am also over 12 meters loa and my masthead light is two parts fore and aft. When the nav light switch is on, just the bow facing portion of the masthead is on along with the bow lights and transom light. When my anchor switch is on then the masthead becomes all around. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    @Liberty44140 - that's the right locations for the lights.  

The visibility requirement for a 12-meter boat is 3 miles for the white lights and 2 miles for the sidelights.  The lights might have a visibility rating stamped on the case.  My original "festoon bulb" lights were downright feeble compared to the ones I installed.  

It's legal to use underwater lights or other lights when underway, but only if they can't be confused with the nav lights, and they don't impair the vision of the crew.  
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have wanted to remove my all around light as it interferes with the solar panels (shading).  I'm under 12m.  Can I have a small mast on the leading edge of the arch in conjunction with a stern light and be legal?  Is there a minimum height off the water for the stern light and does it need to be at the transom or could it be at the trailing edge of the arch?
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    @YYZRC - yes, you could use a masthead light plus sternlight, but you would still need an all-around light for anchoring.  

You can move the all-around to the front of the arch.  You'd have to make sure it doesn't illuminate the foredeck (which would kill your night vision).  Might have to add a light baffle under the light.  

If you use a sternlight, it just has to be lower than the masthead light.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Thanks @LaRea - I guess I need to come up with an easy way to raise/lower the existing all-around light without climbing up onto the arch each time.

Something like this would work!
    https://www.amazon.ca/Owfeel-Control-Compatible-Application-Program/dp/B07SG48KSW

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B098TGGPH5/
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I upgraded my anchor light when I bought the boat and it is correct.  But, my front red green lights could use an upgrade.  I may have to add this to my winter list.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to know that underwater lights can be used underway @LaRea. With the white transom light on, I don’t think blue lights under the platform could be confused. Thanks 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Actually, underwater blue lights can have a flashing effect when underway at speed.  From a distance, it can look like the blue lights of law enforcement.  I'm not sure I'd want that sort of attention.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My lights on the 270 are awful ...can't imagine anyone would see me on the water...I do not boat at night so have not been concerned about it...maybe just some new bulbs would do a little better in case I get caught out. Only came in once and it was so dark I was navigating by chart plotter and the occasional channel beacons...was not a pleasant experience. To afraid of hitting some other yahoo out fishing for the night without lights on it!
  • Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    @YYZRC this came in an email ad and thought of you

https://new.attwoodmarine.com/powerbase/

Raises and lowers mast light at the touch of a button
  • Options
    They also make one for VHF antenna. A bit pricey at $499
  • Options
    Oh man, it drops automatically when it senses an obstruction?!?  They would sell a ton of those where @Dream_Inn keeps his boat.  Forget that low bridge!  
  • Options
    Think you have to press a button but maybe a proximity sensor????…
  • Options
    Slick. Half a boat buck tho!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    LaRea said:
    Oh man, it drops automatically when it senses an obstruction?!?  They would sell a ton of those where @Dream_Inn keeps his boat.  Forget that low bridge!  
    Yeah, I read about it earlier but was too expensive for me. I'll just keep mine down.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    @rasbury ... i upgraded all nav lights to led bulbs = big difference / low cost
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    trip_n said:
    @rasbury ... i upgraded all nav lights to led bulbs = big difference / low cost
    I upgraded mine to led as well. I got them from Attwood. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    I think we had a thread about this some time back - changing the bulb in a fixture could negate the USCG rating.

The nav light fixture is USCG approved as a whole based on using a specific bulb. To keep the USCG rating the bulb must be replaced with the exact type and rating of bulb, not an equivalent. So if it originally came with incandescent, it's supposed to be replaced with an incandescent (even though the LED may be superior).

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭✭
    Found the article at:

https://www.hellamarine.com/en/blog/news/retrofitting-incandescent-nav-lamps.html

The article is 10 years old so not sure if regulations have changed, but here's the text from the link:

Retrofitting Incandescent Navigation Lamps with LED bulbs is unsafe and illegal.

With all the power-saving and longevity benefits of LED lights, it's easy to see why boat owners replace traditional light bulbs with LEDs. But doing so with navigation lights can violate the fixture's certifications. This has serious consequences, as US Inland Navigation Rules and International Navigation Rules carry the force of federal law.

"A certified navigation light fixture is a combination of a specific lens, a specific bulb and the necessary foundation and wiring. The boat owner or operator must ensure that when bulb replacement is necessary, only the original type bulb is used," said Phil Cappel, chief of the US Coast Guard's Recreational Boating Product Assurance Branch. "Any substitutions can result in the light no longer meeting the Navigation Rule requirements."

A wide variety of replacement bulbs are available, including LED bulb conversion kits. Simply finding one that fits the fixture won't assure the boater of a properly certified navigation light, unless the lamp manufacturer has third party-certified it for their own lamp. Cappel notes that compliance with the Navigation Rules is the boat operator's responsibility, not the bulb manufacturer's.

Industry specifications and certifications are in place for safety. Though seemingly simple, the red, white and green navigation lights are thoroughly tested by a third party for light intensity, color, angles of visibility, corrosion and temperature. "The lamp assemblies are designed and tested with a specific light source," said Brian Goodwin, technical director for the American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC).

Precise tests determine if light reaches nautical mile requirements. Light output must also be sharp at the edges and smooth across the arcs of visibility. This prevents light from appearing to flash like a buoy rather than project consistently when the boat rotates and rocks.

Goodwin notes that there are other causes of failure if the owner replaces a bulb with one other than the original type. For example, LEDs installed in a housing intended for a hot bulb may dim unexpectedly. "Unless approved and tested by the light fixture manufacturer, LED retrofit bulbs do not belong in navigation lights," he said.

"Flaunting the law risks lives, insurance and liability," said Jeremy Singleton, Hella marine global manager. "The USCG and ABYC take navigation lighting very seriously. They are considered life-saving devices to avoid collisions at sea and on inland waterways."

The simple solution for owners wishing to upgrade to LED navigation lights is to replace the entire light assembly with a certified product. This ensures their navigation lights are safe, and legal.