Options

342 - Questions

Went a completely different direction than I wanted to..... but the wifey will be working remote in 2022 and I've been working from home for a few years now.

Since we both don't have a "Corp. Cubicle" we started looking at Express Cruiser for kicks. I found a local 2003 342 for sale.

It's older than I wanted and has more hours than I like but it looks well taken care of, at least from the pictures. Knowing the boat was used as it was built for. I'm hoping everything is up to date on maintenance.

Boat is equipment with twin 6.2l with Bravo 3's at 714 hours each. The generator is at 174 hours.

Hoping to see this boat in person in the upcoming week.

Anything major I should look for with this model which will be a dead give away of abuse or factory issues?

Should I be really concerned about the hours knowing "half" the engine  life is gone.

*should note this boat is fresh water.

Comments

• Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 865 ✭✭✭
    Providing the engines and genset have been serviced regularly the hours are acceptable. Get a Hull survey and a mechanical one.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Welcome to the forum.  The 342 is probably the most popular Rinker model sold.  It has a great layout and one of the only out there at that size with a full shower.  There are a lot of 342 owners that should be able to give you more details on what to look for. I would start in the engine room.  Is it clean real clean done there.  Make sure to go down and look around.  I believe it was late 2003 or 2004 when they shifted the engines back and gave a little more space in front of the motors allowing easier maintenance on things like the seawater pump.  That motor and drive is good and typical for the boat.  As for the hours, they are not high at all. Actually the generator is a bit low.  It definitely should be ran more.  It is not good to leave them sit.  The arches on those years are prone to paint chipping and corrosion.  It is something that can be fixed.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    After ten years, it's more about condition than age.  A reliable boat is one that has been cared for and loved.  

One thing I've noticed over 20+ years of boating:  when people complain that their boat is not reliable, they almost always have an engine room that is dirty, greasy and disgusting.  So that's the first thing to check:  is the engine room clean?  

Another big thing, if you have Mercruiser Bravo 3 outdrives:  are the steering pins leaking?  There are plenty of discussions here on that topic.

If the motors have been maintained, I would not worry at all about 714 hours.  With proper care, they will go many more years before rebuild.  
  • Options
    DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    Pretty sure they shifted the motors back for 2005 model. I have friends that had a 2004, mine was 2005 and difference to motor access was huge between the two.

I would certainly pay attention to gimbal bearing and steering linkage. Make sure there is no freeplay when you push side to side on the outdrives.

Check around the speakers on the radar arch, some of the older models have a tendency to show cracks in the gelcoat....not a structural issue, just cosmetic.

The generators on these boat really like to be run. They can be really finicky especially if one has as low hours as stated. Make sure you check that out thoroughly.

Some 342's have been known to leak around the bow rail mounts so pay attention to the headliner in the cabin.

Other than that, it's a great boat. I had mine for 7 years and loved it.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • Options
    JohnnyLJohnnyL Member Posts: 7
    LaRea said:
    One thing I've noticed over 20+ years of boating:  when people complain that their boat is not reliable, they almost always have an engine room that is dirty, greasy and disgusting.  So that's the first thing to check:  is the engine room clean?  

• Options
    @JohnnyL that looks average or better - good to see.  If she has standing water in the bilge, definitely check the steering pins for leaks.  
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What’s the blue module to the left of the drive lube reservoir? At first I thought it was Mercathode but the wiring looks aftermarket. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    I think o3 is when they moved engine after making engine bay bigger. Also you might be able to put vessel view on that boat.I love my 342!
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    What’s the blue module to the left of the drive lube reservoir? At first I thought it was Mercathode but the wiring looks aftermarket. 
    That’s the Mercathode. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    @JohnnyL that looks average or better - good to see.  If she has standing water in the bilge, definitely check the steering pins for leaks.  
    Might be running up to the marina today. Unfortunately it's winter in my area and the boat is out of the water and wrapped. 

I can check for stains tho. 
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    I have this very year and model.  Great boat.  I would definitely echo all the other statements.  GET a Survey.  Have a mechanic do a review of the engine and pull plugs and above all ask him to show you his records or what has been done.  At 700 hrs i would not be too worried about the engines as long as they did the typical stuff when you are supposed to.  Oil every year, winterized, Risers and elbows.  The one thing i would ask if he had the outdrives rebuilt?  At 700 hrs they are at the end of their life expectancy or soon to hit it without a rebuild.  That is roughly $5k each.  Everything else you may see or it may need is likely just typical for a boat that age.  Nothing to fear unless you don't like getting dirty.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with above comments and you can see that this has the pushed back transom which is good. Plenty of room in front of the engines for maintenance whereas the older version had no room at all in front of the engines.

if this has been in freshwater all of its life risers and manifolds will be less of a concern. On my 06 342 they looked brand new when I opened them to look in after 13 years of age. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Like everyone else, I wouldn’t be worried about the hours. Definitely check all of the hoses and rubber components, they can become brittle at that age. Also check all of the clamps, I’ve found a few broken ones on my engines.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I have this very year and model.  Great boat.  I would definitely echo all the other statements.  GET a Survey.  Have a mechanic do a review of the engine and pull plugs and above all ask him to show you his records or what has been done.  At 700 hrs i would not be too worried about the engines as long as they did the typical stuff when you are supposed to.  Oil every year, winterized, Risers and elbows.  The one thing i would ask if he had the outdrives rebuilt?  At 700 hrs they are at the end of their life expectancy or soon to hit it without a rebuild.  That is roughly $5k each.  Everything else you may see or it may need is likely just typical for a boat that age.  Nothing to fear unless you don't like getting dirty.
    I don't think they have been rebuilt as the ad didn't say. The marina is closed today so I was not able to speak to anyone or make an appt to see the boat.

The outdrives are a concern too. 
  • Options
    vyborny1vyborny1 Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    @JohnnyL

I have 2002 342 with the same powerplant & drives that I bought in 2016. 

I will reiterate with everyone else, get a survey on the boat. Depending on where you are located, should be between $700-1000. Well worth the money. It will not tell everything, but will give you a great baseline. 

As far as the engines, I have talked with a few people that know engines, the general consciences,  they are great/reliable engines. Use them & keep the oil fresh. 
    I have a dock neighbor that has the 5.7's. You can feel the difference between on how the boats perform. 
    A few questions that you may want to ask if possible(questions I wish I knew to ask):
    1. Last to the bellows was changed.
    2. Last time when they had a tune up.
    3. Last time impellers where changed.
    4. How old are the batteries
    5. When was the drives inspected, i.e, pressure checked, alignment
    (engine & drive oil should be change every year)
    At some time, these will all need to be done. 

Other stuff to visually check: 
    1. Age of canvas, if original, plan on replacing in the near future
    2. Condition of all seats (cockpit & cabin)
    3. What other stuff is included or excluded. 

We are a family of 4(2 boys now 9 & 7)
    I put about 60 hrs of actual run time a year on the engines 
    We spend about 25 weekends a year on her on Lake Erie & absolutely love the boat. 

Mine is turning 20 this year(build was in Feb of '02)
    There is always little stuff to keep up on boat of the vintage, I have had very little break or not work. 

Feel free to ask any other questions, by now, I think I have been in every square inch of the boat :D
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee
  • Options
    vyborny1vyborny1 Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    Last ride of the 2021 season (10-24)

2002 342 Fiesta Vee
  • Options
    Marine Survey is scheduled after our walk through. Waiting to hear back on getting an mechanical survey completed. 

- Boat is fresh water only.
    - Only 2 owners. Currently owned the past 17years.

- No service records. Marina selling the boat said the owner paid the mechanic at the Yacht Club under the table.... ugh!

Question:
    If the boat survey came back good and mechanical survey came back good.  Would you accept the boat without a sea trail?

It's winter in my area. Marina wants a huge deposit with a back out contract until a sea trail is complete.

I'm on the fence if both surveys come back good. The wife and I like the layout. I might take immediate possession. 

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    how much money we talking?
  • Options
    If the boat is winterized there are a lot of expensive components a survey won't be able to test. I would hope you are getting a really really good deal.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    If you could at least crank the motor and see if anything is banging around in there...just depends. I paid 35 for my 270 around 8 years ago (wow?) as an 05 knowing I was going to have to put some sweat equity in it...but it only had 100 hours on it showing which meant to me worst case it missed an oil change....I'm not sure the survey did me any good for the mechanical side of it but it was good to get the hull inspected...
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    If you could at least crank the motor and see if anything is banging around in there...just depends. I paid 35 for my 270 around 8 years ago (wow?) as an 05 knowing I was going to have to put some sweat equity in it...but it only had 100 hours on it showing which meant to me worst case it missed an oil change....I'm not sure the survey did me any good for the mechanical side of it but it was good to get the hull inspected...
    That would be part of the deal. Gotta hear it run up to temp, shift, etc. Compression and leak down test. Pressure/vacuum test the outdrives.
    Full mechanical survey.

Given what's going on in the world. It's an 03 (342) 36ft cruiser with twin 6.2 w/B3 (714hours), fresh water only, 2owners. Very clean boat.
    Asking $65k. 
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 865 ✭✭✭
    Why take a chance, if the wife likes it and surveys are good make an offer subject to a sea trial. If there are any problems with winterizing they should show up and you can proceed from there.
  • Options
    You can always re winterize after the sea trial. In this market it is worth 60-70k depending on cleanliness. That means everything works. That's a lot of money to be on the hook for and not have a clear picture of what's what.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    I went through this 2 yrs ago. Did structural survey and all that could be done without running engines in March. Bought the boat with a $15k hold back, then did sea trial of everything in May.

If this boat is not in heated storage then you can’t do a structural survey until you know that there has been no freezing weather for a week. We went in to contract the first week of February but waited 5 weeks to do the survey because it needed to be 40 degrees for a week to be sure no core could be frozen. Broker was pi$$ed but no decent surveyor will touch a boat that might be frozen.
    Post edited by raybo3 on
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    I bought the 330 (boat was in NY State) and the 350 (on the hard for two years and purchased in winter) with no sea trial and with a holdback.  As @Liberty44140 suggested, holdback $15-20k until spring.  If they balk, something isn't right.

The market is still bonkers and it sounds like this boat is a good buy, but with no service records I wouldn't go all-in and take possession now.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    All good points. Thank you everyone.

Market is bonkers so I'm rushing to find something. I also have sellers remorse after not having a boat last season.

Learning towards a hold back till Spring. Last thing I need is to buy a broken boat. 
  • Options
    Things always work out for a reason!
  • Options
    JohnnyL said:
    Market is bonkers so I'm rushing to find something... 
    I'd insist on a holdback or sea trial.  Rushing increases your risk.  If you lose this one, there will be others.  
  • Options
    nate2587nate2587 Member Posts: 1
    Did you ever purchase the boat?