Options

Possible 342 purchase

I've been researching cruisers for a little while and I have it narrowed down to a searay and a rinker. Leaning more towards the rinker. Can anyone give me any useful info with regards to a 2002 342 fv. It has twin 6.2's I/O. The owner has taken great care of it and I think it looks good for a 12 year old boat. I will be getting a survey done on any boat I buy, but any problem areas that I can double check will help. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Tony, the 342 is a great boat.  You just have to find a good one.  You may have done that.  Ours is an 06 (purchased new) and all the issues we have found have been fixed or improved.  We love our 342.  Are the 6.2's Merc or Volvo?  if Volvo, check the out drives.  Just make sure they are not XDP's.   Salt water or fresh?  We are on the saltiest of salt water.  If the maintenance is kept up, salt water is ok but there is a lot of maintenance required to make it ok.  Let us know more details and you will likely get a lot of feedback.  You can not go wrong with a well maintained 342.

Tony

Salt Shaker 342

• Options
    l-skynyrdl-skynyrd Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭

I have had the same boat for 4 1/2 years and had no major problems. My boat has 5.7 bravo 2's.

There are many people on here that have the same boat and they will probably say the same thing

as me. Its a great boat. The 6.2's are a plus. My boat gets on plane in about 6 sec and

tops out at 41 mph

You have to love the water....

Len & Robyn   342 FV  Freebird

• Options
    tonykdrtonykdr Member Posts: 4
    The engines are 6.2 mercs. It is being kept in salt water. I am on Long Island NY so the hard choice is north or south shore, but that's a different discussion all together. If I go thru with it, I going to get as much maintenance info as possible. The owner seems like a good guy, showed my wife around the boat, which is smart. Then the broker schmoozed her also. I think she prefers the rinker over the sea ray. My family had a twin cruiser when I was younger, so I am familiar with the operation. I'm sure I will be rusty but a little practice should help
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭
    Tony,  You will love the 342.  I do not know of anyone who has one that doesn't like them.  We did the "great loop" (6000 miles) aboard the Salt Shaker in 2010.  We have hopes of doing that trip one more time. We spent a couple of weeks at Greenport.     My admirals brother and sister in law live in East Marion on the north fork.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll enjoy the 342!  Great boat and lots of room.  Get a good survey and have them verify the genset is running OK.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    RWBLACK6RWBLACK6 Member Posts: 36 ✭✭
    tonykdr;  I purchased a 2004 ,  342 FV  with 6.2 mercs. ,  4 yrs. ago.   Have been very happy with both the power plant and the boat. I also was down to Sea Ray or Rinker.  A few things like separate shower stall,cockpit layout, walk thru windshield, HUGE storage in cockpit,  swayed us towards Rinker.    And one important thing I must add.    There are many very knowledgeable Rinker boat owners on this forum, [ many own 342 s] , who are quick to respond to any question you may have.  That's an added bonus.