Options

Charger issue

Hello all. Experienced a charging issue on our new to us 95 300. Shore power was charging batteries and then one day discovered dead batteries. Checked main panel and it was on. Checked charger and the reset button was popped out. When I push it in the charger hums for a few seconds and then the reset button pops out. Is this for sure the charger or could it be something else?

Jake

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time to replace
  • Options
    JakesRinker300JakesRinker300 Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
    Awesome. Thanks for the quick reply. The isolator couldn’t be doing this correct?
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is an ancient charger,  I think my 93 fv235 had the same brand in it.  

My charger wasn't wired into the isolator iirc, only the alternator.  Been 2 years or so now.  

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know the age or the condition of your batteries but I would install a new charger and isolator. 
  • Options
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you located in Ontario?

I always cross-shop Amazon against Marine Outfitters or The Chandlery.  Also, in years past The Chandlery has always had a boat show sale with 20-30% off.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Yah located in Ontario. Will check out The Chandlery. 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I would disconnect the batteries and with a multi-meter see if the charger is putting out. If not then replace it, if it still puts out replace batteries. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the original isolator out of my 350.  As far as I know it works fine.  Yours if you want it.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Hi guys. Need some more help. I bought my new Guest charger and went to the boat to install it. It didn’t go well lol. I’m so confused. The original charger has three reds and two greens running out and disappears behind the wall somewhere. I’m guessing they run into the battery switches?  I also have an isolator. Do I just run the new charging leads direct to the batteries?  

• Options
    Oh also. My current charger is hard wired but the new one has an actual plug. Do I need to wire a receptacle in the engine compartment or?
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    For the AC (shore power) input, cut off the plug and connect the wires with heat-shrink butt connectors. 

Same with the output wires ... butt connectors for all.  I'm not sure why your old charger had two green wires.  It's normally one ground and three 12+ outputs.  
  • Options
    I’m really confused on this one. The three red leads that run from the old charger appear to go into the fuses on the battery switches. The new Guest charger I bought say to wire the leads direct to the batteries and not to cut them. 
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 868 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    You can connect them to your isolator, bottom 3 terminals. You should be able to shorten them and put on the correct terminals if needed. If you shorten them keep them the same length 
  • Options
    So if I just left the three existing positive leads from the old charger and capped them, wire the new charger leads direct to the batteries, what’s going to happen?
  • Options
    As long as the old wires are properly capped off and insulated the charger will work with the new wires going direct to the batteries..
  • Options
    Update. Returned the Guest charger that obviously was not ideal for my install scenario. Bought a Promariner Pronautic 12-30p. I have a new problem. There are two green leads one thicker than the other and I forgot to take a pic of where they connected on the old charger. The new charger has a “case ground” stud on the out side of the case and there’s a negative stud with the three positive outputs.  Which of my existing green leads is for what?
  • Options
    My guess is that they are both DC negative wires. The thicker wire would go to the negative stud and the other could be case ground. Does the yellow jacket have 2 or 3 wires for your AC connection. 
  • Options
    The AC in lead has three conductors. What if I make those green negative/ground connections backwards and I power up the charger? What would happen?
  • Options
    I don't understand what you mean by making the ground/negative wires backwards?. If your boat has a grounding system then the case ground needs to be connected to it using the thinner green wire. 
  • Options
    Sorry. I just meant what if the smaller green is the DC negative and the larger is the case ground. I did some more digging and found some info that supports your theory that the case ground is smaller usually. 
  • Options
    Both your positive and negative charge wires should be the same gauge. If the new charger puts out a higher amperage you will need to check that they meet the wiring specs in the manual. Again I would personally use new wires and terminals for the DC charging system and connect to the bottom 3 terminals of the isolator and run a new ground charging wire to a negative terminal block. You have no idea where the old wires go, how long they are, whether there is corrosion where they terminate or if the wires have built up resistance over time. Just sayin 
  • Options
    goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
    Great advise grahamu, also make sure those wires are fused , jakesrinker300 maybe it is time to have a professional help you out , marine wiring is nothing to fool around with. Your neighbours and insurance company would be thankful.