Epoxy Bottomcoat

YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone running this on their cruiser? Considering it for my 350. No need for anti fouling/ablative where I boat. 
2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay

Comments

• oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 729 ✭✭✭
    I always being using Pettit white Vivid on my boats. 
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    @YYZRC if you don't need anti-fouling paint then why put anything on the bottom other than a nice coat of wax? If it were me I would use a top shelve of Teflon wax.... Just say'n
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    I have used it/applied it.  A 91 fv235 I purchased had flaking soft bottom coat and blisters.  She was a neglected slip kept boat.

I trailer store and hated looking at it.  I removed all the soft paint and removed/filled the blisters.

The epoxy bottom paint required  an epoxy primer.  Extra step for maximum adhesion and requirement for the blister repair 

Epoxy paint seems to eat your locally purchased hard ware store paint rollers and will leave bits of fiber in the finish so get good rollers if you're not going to spray. 

If you don't already have bottom paint try not to use any as @raybo3 says. The vinylester gelcoat on rinkers is less susceptible to blisters than your cheaper/older boats that used polyester resin and gelcoat. Keep it clean and you'll have years of worry free service. I've not heard anyone on here mention having any blisters on any of the modern rinkers.  

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    I don’t want to be that guy with osmosis. There’s a 340 at the same marina with no bottom paint and lots of osmosis. Very minor but still. 

Both my previous boats had ablative but it’s not necessary here. 

@kordo did you make a decision on your uncoated bottom?
  • GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    @YYZRC, my 342 has an epoxy coating and cleans up well with a good power wash at end of season. The survey did turn up very slight osmosis which was not visible when launching last year. If you want peace of mind I would go with an epoxy coating, forget antifouling paint.
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @Grahamu ! What colour did you go with? I’m debating dark blue.
  • GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    It was put on by PO, here are a couple of pics after it was out of the water for a couple of months and then power washed.

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can I coat the whole boat? Looks great!