Options

The Loop!

trich11trich11 Member Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
I stopped by the marina during my lunch and talked to a couple of our members starting our cardboard boat for the labor day race. We had a transient come into the harbor this morning who is doing the loop plus the Snake and Columbia Rivers. One of our guys said, "doing the Great Loop?" and was quickly corrected. We have already done the "Great Loop". He said oh yeah, whats that? They said, around the world. Did it in a 45 foot sail boat. These people are serious boaters! Hope they stick around a couple of days so I have a chance to hear some stories.

Comments

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that was certainly a dream of mine at one point- a solo run.. then life happened.. it's still on my bucket list, though!!

I'd love to hear those stories myself...
  • Options
    TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

I would like to hear some of those stories too.  I think it was me who referred to the circuit around the east half of the US as the Great Loop.  I guess it is all relative.  :( 

We are hoping to do the loop maybe one more time.  During our 2010 trip we enjoyed our visit to the Peoria Boat Club.  We have a bunch of photos from there.  We intend to make that one of our stops if we get to do it again and meet Trich and the other Rinker owners who are based there.

Tony

Salt Shaker 342

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod

Yes, there are some true sailors out there.  Each year we always hit a serious sailing marina (Zahniser's in Solomons, MD) because the people that run the marina as well as the boat owners are great.  Last year we ran into someone that bought their boat and said it was a "short" trip bringing it back before he makes a longer trip.  Well, the short trip was from Costa Rica.  Yes, the longer trip was the great loop.  Very interesting fellow & I got to have a couple drinks with him.  He was doing some modifications to the boat that would take a few months.

In our area we get to meet people often that are doing "the loop".  Something we've always dreamed of.  Tony, you better keep Annapolis on your stop as well! :)>-

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    trich11trich11 Member Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    Tony, sorry we missed you last trip and certainly welcome you back to Peoria Boat Club anytime. I hope to give the loop a try at some point although I'm not sure I will ever have enough money to take our 342 purely due to fuel costs. If we decide to go we will most likely go the diesel trawler route.
  • Options
    DZDZ Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    Hope they stick around too! Haven't seen many loopers on the Illinois at Peoria this year.
  • Options
    bat32bat32 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭

I guess that means the locks are open in Marseilles again!