Options

Buying 2002 Fiesta 310

Hi all!  New to the forum here and have a general purchase question for ya'll.

I am in the final stages of buying a 2002 Rinker FiestaVee 310.  The boat is in exceptionally good shape with <500 hrs on the 5.0 Merc w/ Bravo III's.  It has been dry-stored by the previous owner and power-washed and flushed after every trip into salt water.  The bottom has never been painted yet.

My question is:  Do I need a survey first?  Do I need just a motor survey or should I have it pulled for a hull inspection too?  The original owner took us out for a couple of hours the other day and the motors just purr.  Very smooth.  They just had new exhaust manifolds and spark plugs.  The inside is very clean.  The outside above the water line looks great too.  I'm inclined to err on the safe side and have the thing fully surveyed but I really do trust the owner at this point that the boat is in great shape.

Do these boats tend to suffer from any fiberglass issues after 11 years?  Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Answers

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod

I used to own the same boat, same year, same engines/drives and had it for 7 years before selling it.  Absolutely a fantastic boat!  We also had it lift kept with no bottom paint.  When I originally bought the boat, I only had the engines surveyed.  I knew the boat inside/out well before owning it so I knew exactly what I was looking at and for.  That being said, I'd recommend at a minimum to get an engine survey done.  This will allow you to know that your most expensive items in the boat are good.  This age boat, hull survey can be important though in telling you about any soft spots or hull issues.  I think it depends on what you know about boats.  I also had a friend that owned the same boat survey it with me, so that helped as well.

If it is dry stored, it will be much easier to check the hull whether by your or a surveyer.  I believe most people here would say go with a full survey instead of your gut instincts.  They usually find something that you won't & make sure you are with that person when the survey is performed. 

As far as what to look for yourself, make sure all seacocks work (close and open them).  Check in ever single nook & cranny for moisture or anything out of the ordinary.  (this means under every cushion, into each compartment under those cushions & use a flashlight as well).  Look into the water heater compartment, which is behind a cushion in the mid cabin, then inside that storage area there is an access panel.  Make sure the connections look good with no rust or corrosion.  If it hasn't been replaced, the time is coming.  Bottom of the arch - this area is known to have cracks because moisture/water gets in and goes to the bottom and then in the winter freezes, causing cracks.  In the cabin, any sign of water damage could show that the rub rail leaks.

Full operation of everything, including the shower pump and bilge pumps, electronics, mechanical stuff.  Of course make sure the big power units like the air conditioning and stove top can all run on the generator.

The boat has smartcraft, so if nothing is connected to it, you can add on a display for that (which I highly recommend).  Well, that is probably enough, cause I could go on & on. Let us know what you decide and how you make out.

:)>-

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    brianluckbrianluck Member Posts: 174 ✭✭✭
    Always survey! Seller might lower price due to damage or possible repairs. You will have piece of mind knowing exactly it is your buying. No matter how "decent " the seller is he could have easily over looked something he isn't trained to look for! In my case a survey took 3k off the price
    1994 300fv "General Madness"
  • Options
    SeattleBumSeattleBum Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the recommendations everyone.  I'm leaning toward full survey since I have little knowledge of the onboard systems.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Yan brings up a good point.  I've been around several surveys with buddies boats and I mention things when they are done.  It is surprising what they miss.  You need to do a thorough one yourself as well, at least visually.  Again, engine survey I think is a must.  & if your knowledge is minimal as you have said, then even more reason to make sure you are there with the surveyor (Sorry, don't want this to sound as preaching - I learn something every time I can be involved with a survey).  Good luck & can't wait to hear about your boating times!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Capt RonCapt Ron Member Posts: 217 ✭✭✭
    Go with the full survey...its a lot of money you will be spending so give yourself a peace of mind that everything is as good as it looks. I had a friend who was in the same position as you except he wanted a Sea Ray 310 badly... he went through four surveys before giving up on the Sea Ray...all of them were rotten even though they weren't that old.... cost him over $1200 in surveys, however, he didn't own a rotten boat.
  • Options
    Lifes GoodLifes Good Member Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    Seattle bum. welcome to the site! you will love the boat. ours is the 320 and she is rock solid. rinker is of only a few builders where you find sold fiber glass hulls.... not cored! plus you will find very few of them here in the nw.. several ski rinkers and a number of 250s but less than 5 of anything bigger that I have seen in the past 5 years...kind of a searay market but I get tons of great looking boat comments all the time... hey... ps I am in gig harbor...

LG / Mark