Options

It really is going to be cold in FL..

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
So, guess I'm happy the boat os in the water...closed cooling so I guess it's winterized all year. Water pump I'm concerned for..hot water heater I can turn on and drain the faucets. Boat is on shore power with the heat running. A/c next Thursday for 80. We may be in the mid 20 for a few hours Sunday and in to Monday I believe..

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    edited January 2022
    On my boat, the water heater is connected to the starboard engine.  As long as the water heater is on, there's always a small amount of hot water [EDIT: coolant, not water] circulating through the engine block.  It keeps the engine room from getting too cold in an overnight cold snap.

Assuming, of course, that the marina doesn't lose power.  
    Post edited by LaRea on
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I posted this thread a couple days ago and handy said "another stupid thread" you're now on his list!
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    edited January 2022
    LaRea explain to me how the hot water heater being on circulates water through the engine block? I say no way unless the engine is running. Its the engine water pump that pumps the water through the heat exchanger. Nothing on the water heater pumps water through the engine. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    J3ff said:
    I posted this thread a couple days ago and handy said "another stupid thread" you're now on his list!
    Hey, we have all been Visa versa on someone's list- but to boati g!
  • Options
    Have used it a few times..amazed how it keeps up..heat I. The cabin on too..not much I can do...
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    @raybo3, sorry for the bad choice of words.  It's engine coolant that is circulating, not water.  And it's not being moved by a pump.  It's just a small amount of passive circulation from coolant being heated by the water heater. 

The water heater has a connection to the engine for heating water when there's no shore power.  It has a coolant hose from the engine to the water heater, and a return hose.  If I touch those hoses, they are always warm ... even when the engine has been off for days.  And the block is slightly warmer than the port engine.  
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I just didn't want someone who may not know thinking if their water heater is on that the water will circulate. May get some residual heat but definitely not circulating 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    I understand that. Those lines that run wherever in the block I have are about  the only fresh water I have. Maybe I can start it in the morning early just to warm it up. I'm sure it will be fine.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use a little ceramic heater in the engine room
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    U have nothing to worry about if it’s in the water 
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    You can just put a drop light in the bilge and close the hatch I’ve done it before and worked fine 
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yea, don't panic Ras. The water temp is warm enough that if the boat is in the water not much chance of freezing. A 100 watt lightbulb throws quite a bit of heat and safer than a space heater. Or if nearby, run the boat for 10 minutes twice a day and you'll be fine. We leave our boats in until the end of October and it's quite common to get a touch of snow by then, and never a problem.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)