Options

Rinker 320

Looking at a 320. My first experience with twin engines. How important do you feel having joystick control is for a twin engine? 

Thanks in advance!!

Best Answers

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Joystick or bow thruster but must have either or IMO. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
    Answer ✓
    First of all, you need to understand that docking a twin-engine 320 is easy -- much easier than any single-engine boat.  Anybody can learn to do it, and you shouldn't feel intimidated by it.  

When there's wind or current, a bow thruster makes docking safer and easier.  Basically, a bow thruster will expand the range of conditions when you'll feel comfortable getting underway.  

Joystick docking is a fantastic tool, and I think we'd all have it if cost wasn't a factor.  However, you'd still need to learn how to dock the boat manually.  Personally, I'd spend the money on better engines or a larger boat rather than joystick control.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
    Answer ✓
    With twins, you can do everything that you currently do with a single engine, plus you can spin the boat.  You will like it.  Good luck with your hunt.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Answer ✓
    I agree with Larea.  I moved up from a 24' to a 31 Rinker 15 years ago and it was much easier to handle the 310.  The twin engines allow easy turning ability.  About the only difference you will need to be aware is more mass therefore more momentum and also the wind can push it a bit more than your 24.  Most of the time, except under extreme conditions, I still dock my current 40' without the bowthruster.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I went from a 242 to a 330 three seasons ago. Huge difference with twin engines. I don’t have a joystick or thruster. A thruster would be nice at times but not needed. It does depend on the waters where you boat, if you have strong currents/winds a thruster would be a good idea.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 530 ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    When I went from single to twin, I hired a licensed instructor for a 3 hr private lesson on close quarter maneuvers and docking. Worth every penny.   

Answers