Options

Water on shelf at helm

pcmpetepcmpete Member Posts: 110 ✭✭
I have water collecting on the shelf at the helm.   I took the panels out and it was bone dry in there.  How is the water getting in there?

Post edited by pcmpete on

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve never had water in mine. No other areas around it are wet? Maybe running down from the area in font of your VHF?(coming from the windshield area and running down). Shown in red below.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Everywhere else is dry and no sign of water marks.  
    The shelf is recessed in under the helm.  If water came from the VHF area it would go straight down on to the deck.  I am thinking of putting toilet paper in different areas to see if any get wet.  

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,907 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had water in there a couple of times on my 330.  Never did figure it out.  I think @aero3113 might be on the right path tho - try pouring a bit of water there.  I think the water might curl around and under to the shelf.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 530 ✭✭✭
    Maybe sprinkle some baby powder around the area so water tracks are easier to see
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spray and watch ... you'll find the problem.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    I definitely get water in my 330 shelf after a pretty good rain.  Often enough that I’ll empty my stuff out of it before any forecast rain at night when I’m staying overnight.  I think it’s coming in similar to @aero3113 drawing.  Mine actually had a drain hole drilled in the back right corner.  Don’t know but I assumed the drain was original.
  • Options
    My 330 also had a drain hole, same spot.
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    My 330 also had a drain hole, same spot.
    I'd think that is the easy solution, and surprised a drain hole isn't in there in the first place for the OP,

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    I think it'd be a chore to add a hole after the fact.  You'd have to wedge a drill into the helm station somehow!
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    When I find the source and path the water takes, I could add a diverter so the water goes to the deck and away from the shelf 

• Options
    MH342MH342 Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    Here’s a couple tricks I’ve used to channel and divert water. The first is self adhesive automotive chrome trim. You can get it in different sizes and profiles. The second is this awesome stuff called sugru. They call it “moldable glue”. I’ve used it in a few areas in the boat and it holds up well.  In both cases prep the surface with acetone to remove any wax or oils. 
  • Options
    YYZRC said:
    I think it'd be a chore to add a hole after the fact.  You'd have to wedge a drill into the helm station somehow!
    You can't drill it from underneath? Isn't the bottom of that shelf exposed?

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,547 mod
    Don't drill a hole unless you know where the water would go.  I suspect it would drain into someplace bad.  Otherwise, there would already be a drain hole.  
  • Options
    No it’s all molded.  It drains into the area behind the helm station and pools directly below the binnacle.  Certainly not ideal.
  • Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    @YYZRC, how would you see where it pools?  Would you take out a dash panel?  I’ve always worried about where that water ended up.
  • Options
    Just remove the speaker below the binnacle and you'll see some gross stuff!