The New England Boat Show

raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,453 admin
Went to the boat show today. The trend continues, the show was horrible. The price keeps going up, $18 per ticket, $25 to park. Hardly any venders and hardly any boats. Boat prices are outrages. 20' Center Consoles with 125 outboard for $179000. No SeaRay's, Cruisers, Silvertons and so on. Total waste of money and time. I wanted to get pricing on a new A/C unit for my boat but no venders there. So so disappointing. Its been getting that way the last few years but now I may not go again until it bounces back. I walked through the show 2 times and was done in 50 minutes. What a shame! Just say'n
2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     [email protected]

Comments

• IanIan Member Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭✭
    Same at the NY boat show, pretty poor.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• halifax212halifax212 Member Posts: 551 ✭✭✭
    Ours is in March. The rep that sold me my trailer said they are planning to attend the show but lack inventory. Ill still go since 2020 and 2021 shows were cancelled. Yes , new boat prices are crazy, but I have always thought that over my years. Somebody's buying them.  My depth gauge seems to be failing and hoping to talk to suppliers for recommendations and installation this Spring.  
  • oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 729 ✭✭✭
    Same in miami today
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Miami show and Ft Lauderdale is the best
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One day I'd like to go to the Miami show.  Just seems like it would be great to be outside in the sun vs up here in a convention center.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,453 admin
    So I was talking to a vendor at the show. He said the reason the show is so small is the cost of space but mostly the lack of inventory to sell. They won't be able to fill orders. Imagine a boat show with no electronics. Simply amazing. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     [email protected]
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went to a dealership today of the brand I own. Since there are not any near me. He said he has had 5 - 36 footers ordered for over a year. All pre sold. He only had 5 new boats in stock. I always wonder where do people get all this money? 
    Boat Name : 

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    randy56 said:
    I went to a dealership today of the brand I own. Since there are not any near me. He said he has had 5 - 36 footers ordered for over a year. All pre sold. He only had 5 new boats in stock. I always wonder where do people get all this money? 
    They work in Congress
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A couple of years ago a dealer told me the cost of trailering boats to the shows (gas, labor and hotel rooms) was a killer particularly if the boats didn't sell as they had to be trucked back. As well he said floor plan space was stupid expensive. They had to give the boats away to meet costs so it was far better to have the customers come to him.
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Auto shows are the same - just dump money into a fire pit.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    About any ‘trade show’ is big dollars.  $/ft2, charge for everything: electric plug, internet, carpet…we’ve easily dpent $100k for a show, not including bringing in display stuff and people. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    Recovering that cost is a huge task. Its not just $100k in sales its $100k in profit to cover that expenditure.
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, so the used boat market must be going crazy?

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,453 admin
    MarkB said:
    Man, so the used boat market must be going crazy?
    I bought my boat in 2007. I winter store it where I bought it and he maintains it for me. He told me I could get at least what I paid for it or more. It's unbelievable.   
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard to not sell my boat right now, have gotten an offer for 15k more than what I bought it for, sight unseen, just show up to a boat ramp with it. 

The problem is I just lived on it for a week and loved every moment of it. I'm back in a house for the next two weeks and can't wait to get back to it! Would love to trade up if I could but the 270 seems to be the perfect size for being able to single Handley run it and live on it for short amounts of time
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lucky me, I already have exactly the right boat.  I pity the folks who are trying to buy right now, unless they are downsizing and made a killing on the sale.
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prices here are insane for everything. I have no idea how young families with children are coping. We had a 2021 supercharged Yamaha jet boat and sold it after a year (it just wasn't a Rinker) and had three bidders on it. It sold for more than I paid including sales tax, maintenance and insurance for the year. Just nuts! people are paying top dollar for junk boats and cars. 
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be patient. If you want to sell and don't plan to replace immediately then now is the time. People get insane and caught up in the fever and jump in, many not realizing what they are getting into. Interest rates are set to rise, when they do a lot of people that financed will realize they can't afford it and will dump all those new toys (or worse, default) and prices will fall.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270