An Other 342 Question

raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
As my boat is laid up I am doing some upgrades. Does anyone know what the size is on the forward bed on a 342? I am buying a mattress for it.  Again thanks for any input.
2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com

Comments

• GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
     @raybo3, It's an irregular shape and I made a template last year which I'm hoping is returned to me shortly as I was looking to get a topper made to go on top of the cushions but decided not to go ahead. The fore and aft measurement is 71" and at it's widest is 98". That's for a 2006 342 FV.
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    @Grahamu Thanks for the info. I am having a topper made just don't know if I am going with the 2" or 3". I got a quote for about $800 but can't do anything till the shrink wrap comes off. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    This the quote from a Toronto supplier, US$1200,

The price of a 3" latex topper made with 1" of high density foam and 2" of latex.  The added foam protects the soft latex.

It is wrapped in a thick, quilted zippered cover.

98" W x 71" L x 3" D = $1,595

I'll send dimensions when I get the template back.
    @Grahamu awesome thank you
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Better go with 5 inch pad @raybo3 if you get my drift. LOL
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve, your mother should not allow you out to play. :-)

• needmotoolsneedmotools Member Posts: 12
    @raybo3, The previous owner of my 342 had purchased a king size, 3" thick memory foam and cut it to the shape of the forward berth. It is really comfortable and is an inexpensive solution. I'm not sure if its the memory foam or the beers, but we definitely sleep great while on the boat.

I recently purchased a similar 3" Sure2Sleep memory foam from Amazon for our bed at home. It was under $100 and it is really comfortable.

I just use a standard king size mattress pad and fitted sheets for the forward berth. It's definitely a bit of a challenge to get the mattress pad over the memory foam and original forward berth mattress pieces, but it works. 
    2008 Sea Ray 38 Sundancer (previous: 2006 Rinker 342 EC)
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    you can cut them with whats called a  hot knife they work great for cutting foam 
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    So this thread got me thinking.  I had an old kingsize tempurpedic mattress topper that i wasn't using anymore.  So i went out and made a template of the mattress using a piece of plastic sheeting and laid it over the mattress topper.  I only had to glue in one small section of maybe 8".  Just used some 3M spray glue and then put the cover back over it all.  The cover is really stretchy so it looks pretty good.  I just have a few corners i am going to have to tuck under.  This thing is heavy.  I may never have to use trim tabs again.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
    @raybo3, Attached are drawings from the template I made last season. They are not to scale and measurements as I don't have my drafting tools anymore but they are very close. The first picture shows a king size topper (78" X 74") laid on with cut offs at the side and bottom

@Grahamu awesome thanks for posting for me. Very helpful.