Options

Shift boot replacement

Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hey all... I am going to have to replace my shift boot this spring. While there, I am going to replace the bearing, bellows and the seals. I can get OEM Merc part number 8M-0095485 or Sierra part number 18-8219. Obviously the Sierra is less expensive than the OEM. Which would you get? Back story, I was planning on having the local marine shop do it. Made arrangements last fall with the son of the owner and he said bring it up in the early part of the spring to get it done. Stopped yesterday to get the ball rolling, the place is being cleaned out, owners son quit and the mechanic is out on workman's comp for the next 3-4 weeks. The owner is closing this location and moving to another location that is 50 miles away. I had the warm and fuzzes last summer and fall, not so much anymore. I wanted to build trust with them, but I am having second thoughts. 
2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
Go Steelers!!!

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    I've always had OEM put in for those areas that take a bit more labor.  & for those areas, particularly bellows/boots/seals/bearings, I've had my share replaced over the years.  I don't want to think about whether I should have spent 15% more on parts after the job is done.  It sucks that your mechanic has left.  It is difficult to find a good one.  I've been very lucky having a good one now for many years.  (I pay for it, but it is well worth it)  Good luck!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    edited March 2022
    @Dream_Inn I have a great mechanic in Pittsburgh. Unfortunately with the move to Illinois, I am trying to find a new one. This group was 5 miles away which was great. I wanted to build a good relationship with them and it was good up until now.  You are correct, good honest mechanics are hard to find. I was willing to trailer her to Al, but he was booked for the winter. To me, a 2 1/2 hour pull to him would have been worth every penny!! 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I did all mine myself...I used all merc...it really was not a bad job, at least with one motor.  
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rasbury said:
    I did all mine myself...I used all merc...it really was not a bad job, at least with one motor.  
    And how many issues did you have??????
  • Options
    I bit the bullet and purchased the OEM kit from Wholesale marine. It was $315. I got the bellows adhesive alone with a new shift cable just in case I need to replace that as well. Now I need to build a drive lift. Seen a few where they modified an ATV/riding lawnmower jack from Harbor Freight. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Cableguy Greg I went with this if you don’t feel like designing one. I highly recommend it 👍🏻.

https://www.stumpysfabworks.com/boat-outdrive-jack.html
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I built one with a furniture dolly, just built a frame around it..worked just fine.
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    And how many issues did you have??????
    Issues doing it? The worst problem I had was the stupid shift cable boot..kept coming off. It's been sitting in the water for two months so all must be good.
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    @Cableguy Greg I went with this if you don’t feel like designing one. I highly recommend it 👍🏻.

https://www.stumpysfabworks.com/boat-outdrive-jack.html
    I just found that one. He is 3 hours south of me. $56 to ship it. I can’t get there and back plus my time for $56. I might get that one. Glad to hear someone who used him. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    @Cableguy Greg I built a fixed stand also. I made this while I was waiting for the stumpy stand to arrive. Figured I will need it anyway to store the second drive. It was ok to get the drive off but having the ability to adjust the height when putting the drives on was a game changer.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    That is almost exactly what I built right down to the furniture dolly...I angled the supports for a little more strength and stability....
  • Options
    Got my parts the other day. Hopefully I got a good set. 

Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sierra parts likely come out of the same factory in China. They just leave by a different door...🙄
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    I'm sure they will be fine...