Under water lights

Good evening, 

I have a 342 Festa Fee and want to install underwater lights.  I'm just curious on what lights (make or model) to buy and where to install them?  Also, how many lumens do you need to light? 

Installing locations (that I'm thinking of)

I'm not sure if you should install 1, 2 or 3 lights (1 being in-between the motors), (2 right and left of the motors just above the boat trim) (3 right and left of the motors and the center) 

Also should you install 1 on either the starboar/ port of the aft part of the boat?  

Thank you in. advance for your responses.

Patrick Magrum

Comments

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .....,there should be a monster thread with pictures and advice on all manner of underwater lights in the archives.

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would use 3 lights. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    3 lights. Def recommend the lumitec brand and how many lumens depends on the water you are in. Here by Annapolis you need the maximum due to the lack of clarity.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • apdcopapdcop Member Posts: 23
    Thanks guys,  I actually am going to go with 3 lights on the back and two on each sides
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    apdcop said:
    Thanks guys,  I actually am going to go with 3 lights on the back and two on each sides
    I don’t think I’ve ever seen lights installed on the port and starboard sides. I don’t think it’s a good idea to do that. Also, I don’t think you will be able to run the wiring easily. The boat hull is pretty thick in that area.
    2008 330EC
    @aero3113.....have seen many boats in the Caribbean with side lights and even 360 degree lights. Agreed it would be a lot of work after build - but what a look at night at anchor in clear water. there are some pretty astounding videos by Ocean LED and others.
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Michael T , yes I’ve seen them also. Just never seen them installed outside of a factory new boat or yacht. 
    2008 330EC
    I would imagine they also need to be recessed vs surface mount like on the transom. 
    edited March 2022
    @davidbrooks ..... a logical assumption but I have seen many on the sides of boats that were not recessed manufactured by both by Ocean LED and Seablaze. Both the Ocean LED and Seablaze have pretty low profiles so at the transom sides should not be a problem.
    My 342 gets more than 5 barnacles on it and it doesnt want to get up on plane.  I hope those boats have more power than i do.
  • apdcopapdcop Member Posts: 23
    Thanks for all of your input!  I really do appreciate you in-site.  After looking at my boat I believe that it would be very hard to install lights on the sides of the boat.  As areo3113 said, its very think on the sides of the boat.
    @apdcop.....if you really want side lights - say at the transom sides - note that a number of lighting choices only require a small hole for the wiring to pass through, so hull thickness is not really an issue - location as in getting to the area could be more difficult.