Options

Tequila and Whiskey

Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
Alot of country music and movie stars are making their own brands. Have any of you guys tried any? I may pull the trigger on some Tequilas. They are not cheap. 

Comments

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    I can def tell you both Casamigos (George Clooney) and Teramana (The Rock) is very good tequila. My favorite is still Cabo though.  Stay away from Blue Chair Bay rums ( Kenny Chesney). It is horrible.  Tequila and Rum I have tried a ton of them. Whiskey is one I will have to leave it up to others.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Thomas Rhett has a Tequila out that I was going to try
  • Options
    mbnarneymbnarney Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Tried redneck riviera by John Rich. Not bad.
  • Options
    mbnarney said:
    Tried redneck riviera by John Rich. Not bad.
    How are the spring breakers there?
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    edited March 2022
    Metal bands are in that mix too.  Slipknot has one called No. 9 Reserve by a distiller in Iowa. 

My sister and her husband have become bigtime whiskey tasters, along with most of their boating friends.  I got them a bottle of that No. 9 Reserve for a party, and they really liked it.  How did I pick that bottle?  Not by research.  I was at the commissary at Fort Belvoir, and grabbed a bottle from the top shelf.  I got lucky!

Metallica has one called Blackened that they like.  

To me, even if you like the band, it's a crapshoot.  Musical ability might not correlate with good taste in liquor!  Get a few bottles, line them up, and do a comparo.  Buy a bottle of the winner.  If the bottle doesn't last very long, that's a keeper!
  • Options
    mbnarneymbnarney Member Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Big news here is some West Point folks got hold of some tainted cocaine and ended up on life support. Otherwise faily time year so far. Long way to go though.
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    Casamigos is my favorite tequila!!!
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Tres Generaciones @ $37 or Jose Quervo La Familia @ $159.  Both are excellent.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    dalekdalek Member Posts: 259 ✭✭✭
    This may suit you, Handy.
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 739 ✭✭✭
    Don Julio 1942 Aejo Tequila
    Don Julio 1942. You will enjoy.

• Options
    @oscar1 I'd like to try that one!  The only bottle I can get around here is the 1.75 liter for $300.  
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Did anyone think there paying a lot of money so some star that has 0 input for the product gets a butt load of the money and the product, is, not that spectacular?
    Post edited by rasbury on
  • Options
    ras...are you sampling some while typing that?
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 739 ✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    @oscar1 I'd like to try that one!  The only bottle I can get around here is the 1.75 liter for $300.  
    You can find it in total wine for $169.
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    Did anyone think there paying a lot of money si some star that has 0 input for the product gets a butt load of the money and the product, is, not that spectacular?
    Ras, that's called an open free market economy
  • Options
    Scotch whisky has not fallen down that rabbit hole, as most of the distillers are established brands that don't need celebrity marketing.  Outside of Scotland, all of the new little whiskey distilleries are trying to make a splash with any gimmick they can grab!
  • Options
    @LaRea what about Conor McGregor and Proper 12?
  • Options
    Proper 12 is whiskey, not whisky!  (Distilled in Ireland)  But I see that Conor recently sold $600M of his interest in the company.  So yeah, the price of each bottle includes a few dollars for celeb marketing!
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    Did anyone think there paying a lot of money si some star that has 0 input for the product gets a butt load of the money and the product, is, not that spectacular?
    Yes, I am very familiar with the concept. I am also familiar with great marketing for a crap product and is over priced.
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    rasbury said:
    Yes, I am very familiar with the concept. I am also familiar with great marketing for a crap product and is over priced.
    That's up to the consumer to decide and ultimately purchase. 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Ok captain obvious. Just making the point if your spending 300 bucks for a bottle, it better be pretty dang good ...I can afford it but nothing I would spend the money for.
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    I’ve tried the Blackened by Metallica… the Cask Strength is very good. My favorite is Elijah Craig Barrel Proof!!
  • Options
    @rasbury I get your point.  I was trying all the free samples at a duty free shop in Mexico on my way home.  They were selling a beautiful bottle of tequila for $400 that wasnt any better than a $40 bottle of Cabo.  Even the guy selling it told me he thought it wasnt as good.  
  • Options
    That was the point of my previous post.  I have a $37 bottle of tequila that I put against the other $159 I have any day.  It's my go to.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Agree.  Price is not 100% reliable!  Neither is celebrity endorsement.  Although, for some people, the endorsement matters and is worth paying for.  
  • Options

Bob Dylan. Pretty good at the bar tonight
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll let you know in a couple months.  I'll be drinking Rum with Sammy in Cabo  B)
    2000 Captiva 232