Options

"Celery stick location on Bravo 3"

jimzimmjimzimm Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
I Have a 2002 Rinker 342 FV and would like to hear where the spacer on the Bravo 3 trim (Celery Stick, fore/aft of pin) is being used by other boaters with same boat. 6.2 mercs, 24 pitch props. Most of the time just the vice admiral and myself and half load of fuel. Currently in aft position and gets out of water fine, just curious what fore position would provide.
Lake Erie and Canada boating. Thanks Jim Z

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should be in the forward position. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    edited March 2022
    Ahh, the "trim-in limit insert", a.k.a. celery stalk. 

In rare cases, the Bravo 3 can create an issue with heavy deep-V boats.  At WOT with the drive trimmed all the way in, it can generate too much stern-lift causing an unsafe turn.  For those boats, Merc added the trim insert as a safety device.  It prevents the boat from running with the drives tucked too far in.  

I don't know which boats had problems, but nobody on the Rinker forum has ever mentioned it.

The Merc manual says most boats should install the insert in the AFT position for Bravo 3.  The "problem boats" should use the forward position to limit how far the drive can be tucked in.  

I don't think there's any advantage to using the forward position.

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to Al and Kim Slocum, Rinker recommends having it in the forward position. It helps get the boat on plane quicker and holds plane at lower speeds. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    jimzimmjimzimm Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    Thanks for the input and will try fore position
  • Options
    tricountytrailtricountytrail Member Posts: 186 ✭✭
    According to Al and Kim Slocum, Rinker recommends having it in the forward position. It helps get the boat on plane quicker and holds plane at lower speeds. 
    x2 according to my research Rinkers were designed to run in the Forward Position.

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    Mine have the insert in the forward position, shaft in the aft position.