Options

Getting in the slip

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
Still the worst part of the day...so I went out yesterday for a few hours, boat ran great with new plugs, rotor, cap and wires. Being mindful of storms that were expected later afternoon I headed back to my slip- strong cross wind I just could not over power safely. All I could do is get up again a piling so I could pivot off it into the slip. Fortunately the wind direction was pushing the boat to the right finger pier as I'm by myself and there is no one else on the dock. Any other more proper way to handle? Bow thruster sure would be nice!

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use more power than on a calm day and use the piling if you have to like you did. When you line up to go in reverse, put the bow angled towards the wind, when you go into reverse the wind will straighten you out and hopefully you’ll be lined up but you have to commit with the power.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    In wind I always go a bit faster than I think I should. Slow and steady = messy and embarrassing. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭✭✭
    the 4 x 4 props helped slow speed docking immensely over here.. it felt very loose with 3 blades.. 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can also use your anchor
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    You can but would be tough if it’s a small marina. Would pi$$ a lot of people off 😂
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    You can but would be tough if it’s a small marina. Would pi$$ a lot of people off 😂
    Got to know how to use it
  • Options
    Story of my life. 
  • Options
    aero3113 said:
    Got to know how to use it
    How would you use it @Handymans342 ? Not set it? Just dip it in the water?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    I would think you want to drag the bottom with the anchor...you still need to be able to reverse.  The anchor would drag and prevent the wind from blowing the bow?
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Well for example, I was fishing in about 70 feet deep and 6 ft waves. We dropped the anchor and swung around 180 degrees and dropped the bait down on a bunch of fish. Got two nice groupers. 
  • Options
    You can drop the anchor as you are backing up into the slip and use it as a pivot point 
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Then how do you get the dam anchor back? Sounds like a great plan so far...sounds like a trick maybe that sailors did back in the day...how they piloted those big sailboats is beyond me...
  • Options
    I would have to practice in an empty slip on o calm day to power hard into a slip..just don't have the experience. 
  • Options
    @Handymans342 the problem is that @rasbury ‘s windlass only deploys. It doesn’t retrieve!
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    Well, smarty pants @YYZRC, let's assume for a moment it works!
  • Options
    I watch the yachts here at Port Jefferson drop anchor and dock all the time. They drop it, set it and then slowly back into the slip while letting the chain out.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Sorry @rasbury , couldn't resist.

I must say tho, if I had to drop anchor to dock I would give up boating.  That's too much effort for me.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    YYZRC said:
    Sorry @rasbury , couldn't resist.

I must say tho, if I had to drop anchor to dock I would give up boating.  That's too much effort for me.
    @YYRC that’s too bad, I was going to ask you to go half with me on a mega yacht. Looks like it will be me and @rasbury once he practices 😂.

2008 330EC
  • Options
  • Options
    @aero3113 - that sounds like a great idea.  Wouldn't we have a captain to deal with docking?  After a great time at sea, I think we should take the chopper back to our compound and let the crew do their thing.
  • Options
    @YYZRC , you’re right. I forgot we wouldn’t have to deal with that! ⚓️
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Anyway, back on topic.  @rasbury have you considered a little foreplay?  I know you're probably tired after pulling up the anchor by hand but still...
  • Options
    I was going g down the you tube wormhole...for one I should be backing into the wind so the bow is shining into the wind with the turn. Now most of you are saying "duh!" I'm sure but I have little experience with a marina. Most of my boati g is getting on and off the trailer not backing into a slip. 

I watched some mega yachts like above who think they are real talented with bow and stern thrusters...seeing those anchor lines out makes sense but if the fairway is narrow that can pose safety issues I'm sure...not sure I'll live long enough to get to the level you all are...I did not grow up with any boating, well a conoe...
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I would strong disagree with dropping anchor to dock in a crowded marina. That makes zero sense to me. What happens if you had to abort and pull out? IMHO dropping anchor to dock at a marina is absolutely crazy and insane. Backing into the wind and current is always optimal but totally impractical in most cases. What are you going to do, turn the marina around so the wind is at your back? LOL. Again IMHO most people when docking look at the stern I feel you should be keeping a close eye on the bow. The stern you can control the bow is what wanders the most. Bumping forward is how to control the bow. Slow and steady and practice practice practice is what works best.............. Just say'n 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    I could have turned the boat around in the space I had...might have helped..and the pictures above do show bow lines in the water but would figure that an area set up for large boats, no finger piers I'm sure...having my enclosure up adding to the sail affect probably was not a plus either...
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there is no issue pivoting off a pile.  That's a good trick most single boaters use.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"