Options

Amazon buffer / polisher

skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
Anyone buy a polisher off of Amazon?  Lots to choose and I'm sure lots are crap.  Griots is what I'm leaning towards.  But there are cheaper that seems to be rebrands that tempt me.

One a year polish type thing. I have a HF model and it works but wanted something else.
2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3

Comments

• Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Bought a nice DeWalt polisher a few years ago. Works very well.

DWP849X.- 12amps.

I used to go thru polishers crazy fast till I got this one.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the same one as @mattie but it’s too heavy/cumbersome. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,573 mod
    Agree - that Dewalt will wear out your shoulder muscles.  But if you are compounding a heavily oxidized hull, you need the power. 
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would find a good battery operated unit, DeWalt has one now DCM849B.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a German made Flex buffer. A friend of mine who owns a care detailing supply house recommended it to me. It runs better than my DeWalt buffer. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    @skennelly No perfect answer here. 

Really depends on the job that needs to be done. But, buying a polisher is very likely a good example of "you get what you pay for".

Pay $79 - don't expect much.
    Pay $200+ you'll be happier.

• Options
    I have a German made Flex buffer. A friend of mine who owns a care detailing supply house recommended it to me. It runs better than my DeWalt buffer. 
    Flex is an excellent higher end brand for sure.
  • Options
    Don't assume that a buffer is good because car guys recommend it. Cars and boats have different needs.

Cars need fine control at light pressure.  If you're compounding a boat, especially an older boat with fading gelcoat, you need power to drive a big pad with a fair amount of pressure.  And you might need to cover a huge area compared to cars.  

The DeWalt has enough power for cutting an oxidized hull.  But it will wear you out. Axe me how I know!   :)
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭✭
    @LaRea I have that one and it will kill my shoulders also and I have a little less surface than you do. For me I don't try to compound and wax in a weekend. 
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 745 ✭✭✭

This is the one used by my detail guy to polish the boat
  • Options
    Maybe two buffers is best.  One with enough power for cutting large areas, and a small battery-powered unit for polishing and buffing.
  • Options
    edited March 2022
    LaRea said:
    Maybe two buffers is best.  One with enough power for cutting large areas, and a small battery-powered unit for polishing and buffing.
    How about 3 polishers!

I got a small AC Delco rechargeable mini polisher two yrs ago. Really slick unit. You can attach 3” mini Velcro wool pads. Li-ion batts.
    Best for use around pop up cleats, raised emblems & skinny gelcoat areas. (Helm)
    Highly recommend. Get about 20 min per batt.