Options

20p vs 22p Hill Marine 4 blade on FV 270. 383

J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just putting this here to compare. Will have the 22p on sometime next week 

20p:

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am curious to see the difference. I have a 6.2MPI in my 280EC with 22’s on my B3. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J3ff said:

20p:

Was that wide open???
  • Options
    I am curious to see the difference. I have a 6.2MPI in my 280EC with 22’s on my B3. 
    S

What's your speed at 4k rpms

• Options
    edited April 2022
    J3ff said:

20p:

Was that wide open???
    No, just plotting one point. Want to see what it's like at 4k with 22 seeing as I don't like running much above that
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    You have a lot of prop slip.  Assuming you have 2.2:1 gears, the prop slip is 21%. 

The change in pitch should pick up 2.8 mph.  The new props should slip less, so I'm betting you'll pick up 4-5 mph.  That will be nice!
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    LaRea said:
    You have a lot of prop slip.  Assuming you have 2.2:1 gears, the prop slip is 21%. 

The change in pitch should pick up 2.8 mph.  The new props should slip less, so I'm betting you'll pick up 4-5 mph.  That will be nice!
    That would be more close to what I see people reporting here. There was someone saying they were just over mph at the top. Pretty sure I'd never get there with these props. Tempted to try the 383 with 24ps on it but couldn't resist the price on the 22s.. if it can do 27mph at 3600ish rpms I'll be happy
  • Options
    Well I couldn't get the prop nut off today... broke the sacrificial wrench and everything.

Just picture me under water, with a small dive bottle, standing on the bottom, pushing up with all my strength trying to break that nut loose. Oh well, next weekend maybe will attack it with a long 1/2 inch extension and an electric impact gun.. we'll see.  
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @J3ff
    When was the last time they were off? Shouldn’t be that tight.
    Lefty loosey righty tighty !! 😂

2008 330EC
  • Options
    August 2021, but it's been in the water since then!! I have changed props in water before... it didn't require the amount of force I gave it today!! 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Well. The prop nut wont come off.. going to have to wait for an impact gun when it gets pulled out in July. I am not blaming anyone, but I have never had this problem before... and the mechanic was the last one to have the props off and put them back on... who knows. It is what it is. 
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    So it required an air gun to get the forward prop off... New 22 props on, at 60lb ft for the forward and 100 for the back 

First test hopefully in the next 30 mins
    Post edited by J3ff on
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Well I would call that an improvement, no problem getting up on plane, it actually feels like it pulls harder...?  This was on a windy wavy day.. 

Post edited by J3ff on
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the end, you want the engine to hit rated max rpm number.  Too high: pitch is too small.  Cannot hit it, too much pitch…risk lugging and tulip valve issues. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    3.5 mph pick up @ 4000 rpm. Nice 👍 
  • Options
    In the end, you want the engine to hit rated max rpm number.  Too high: pitch is too small.  Cannot hit it, too much pitch…risk lugging and tulip valve issues. 
    Will have to wait for a calm day with no wind to try and run it up to the top.. 
  • Options
    captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 211 ✭✭
    How does the low end acceleration compare to old props?
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
  • Options
    captkevin said:
    To be honest all I feel is more thrust.. must have had something to do with that high prop slip number? I dont know any of the technical reasons, but the one thing that I do know is it hops right up. Had 4 people on the boat yesterday, 2 of the bigger type.. in the past I feel like it struggled more to get up on plane than it did yesterday, which was very little.. 
  • Options
    captkevincaptkevin Member Posts: 211 ✭✭
    Sounds like you made the right choice.
    2004 232
    2021 Yamaha Fx svho
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    captkevin said:
    To be honest all I feel is more thrust.. must have had something to do with that high prop slip number? I dont know any of the technical reasons, but the one thing that I do know is it hops right up. Had 4 people on the boat yesterday, 2 of the bigger type.. in the past I feel like it struggled more to get up on plane than it did yesterday, which was very little.. 
    Was this code for transporting manatee? 
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022

@J3ff has, IMHO, the best cruising ground in the country.     Sadly he also has the worst traffic in the world so I can see why he wants to get to places fast in his rinker

• Options
    edited August 2022
    This was floored today. Full gas and water and don't forget it's a semi live aboard so she's weighed down pretty good. Me and two other adults about 600lbs between the three of us. I'd say 1ft waves... And somewhat of a breeze. Still waiting for that perfect day to try it out. 

I do have low compression (110 psi while the others are  North of 160) in one cylinder on a cold start, that's a whole story on itself.

27/28 seems to be the sweet spot on this boat, so I'm perfectly happy to run it at that but 300 rpms less than the other props, unless you tell me it's doing damage otherwise
  • Options
    edited September 2022