Options

Sunscreen Recall

212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
I don't hang around here much anymore, but thought y'all would be a target audience for this next bit: 

this is my house- the sunroom adjacent the pool, anyway... I was in the barn working on something when a puff of smoke drifted past and I thought "what are the neighbors burning?"... they weren't burning anything... my house was trying to burn down. 

if i'd not got to it when i did, and i mean seconds, the entire house would have been lost... the eves were on fire... i kicked a fully engulfed lounge chair into the pool which likely halved the flames, but they were still a 10-12' ball... i didn't think i could put it out, but i was gonna try- my intent was to attempt to contain it long enough for the FD to arrive.  Luckily, I was able to get it out myself. 

Comments

• Options
    that very sunscreen was on a table that has pulled a "ashes to ashes" routine and is a molten part of the concrete... it's the only thing it could have been.  I walked past this area not five minutes prior and nothing was out of ordinary... a couple kids working in the backyard of a neighbor said they HEARD it- WHOOSH, then smoke and crackle of fire. 

if you have that sunscreen, toss it.  it may prevent sunburn, but it promotes real burn. 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you are ok Bro. Insurance will rebuild
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WoW!!
    Glad no one was hurt and that you were able to keep it under control!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What was the fire marshal’s opinion on the cause?

The banana boat fiasco is from 2012 era and doesn’t seem to be “spontaneous combustion” but rather exposure to open flame/spark. 

2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    edited April 2022
    Supposed to get report today from fire marshals,  the investigator yesterday as it was still smoldering is the one who asked about it... I had no clue.  There was nothing else out there, and electrical was fully ruled out.  

The product was in the sun, which could have generated heat and pressure (I'm sure it did), but the ignition?  It comes as a surprise to me as well.  And yeah, there are reports of it spontaneously combusting if you dig through the statements. I'm dam curious to see what was on that report myself.  
    Post edited by raybo3 on
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Crap!!  Glad you are ok and you were able to safely put the fire out.  Definitely as close as it gets to losing it all!  Thanks for the warnings!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Well the big thing is nobody got hurt and you were able to save the house from much more damage. Good luck and keep us posted. It's real nice to see you post again (sorry it had to be under these circumstances).
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Terrifying.  I am glad you didn't get hurt fighting that beast!  Will be interested to hear what they find.  

When I had my house fire, they did not provide the investigator's report.  I had to request it, and they had to get permission from the insurance company to release it to me.  
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Thats crazy, thanks for the info. I def am going to check and make sure we dont have any.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow......a TEN year old recall, that is still causing problems?  That is scary. Glad nobody got hurt, I'm just amazed it was still so volatile after all of these years
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    fire marshal is confounded by this and can't figure out the source.  

there were two items out there... the sunscreen and a water bottle.  it turns out the water bottle, believe it or not, is just as likely... it 'can' refract the sunlight just like a magnifying glass. I was arguing about whether there was a bottle or not, but apparently the kid said she left one out there for certain. 

the part that is confusing is there was no slow burn or smoldering.  it went up in a literal whoosh- the guys doing the neighbors concrete spoke to that.  the foam in the chase lounges may as well be an accelerant.  

lots of variables and not enough suspects... 
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You got the cleanup and reconstruction started yet?