Options

Can this eisenglass be saved?

JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭✭
Last summer I left the camper top up all season and now I have these spots on the glass. Its on the outside of the stern piece, at the bottom of the window near the swim platform. I tried buffing it out with various plastic products with no real difference made.

All of the other pieces look great, but they also got alot less sun exposure.

I've always used eisenglass-only cleaners and products, but it does have 9 years on it now. Any magic product or process to get this clear again, or stop it from getting worse?

2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3

Comments

• Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭
    Before and after Meguires Plastx. Yellowed back up do to age but got another year out of them. Worth a try in my opinion 
  • Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 5,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Canvas looks to be in good shape.  I would find someone to replace the strataglass and enjoy for another decade.
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YYZRC said:
    Canvas looks to be in good shape.  I would find someone to replace the strataglass and enjoy for another decade.
    That’s the route I took, had all of my front panels replaced. Can barely tell that they aren’t original.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Yeah canvas is perfect, just the plastic in that one spot. I thought about Plast-X, but didnt have any at home. I'll give it a shout, thanks.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eisenglass is PVC: which breaks down from UV exposure.  Once it starts to cloud up / discolor there is no fix.  

True Strataglas is a different product with much better UV exposure life.  Downside is it is not as flexible.  You can get thinner grades that will roll, but not like a tight roll. Thicker grades will not roll at all.  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Agree with @Black_Diamond once the glass starts to go it's can't be saved.  Interesting though...it seems since I moved away from the city my eisenglass seems last much longer.  I think pollution and uv all play a role
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    laureniac1laureniac1 Member Posts: 254 ✭✭✭
    Mine looks the exact same! My boat was not covered till late last year because we couldn’t get shrink wrap. I’ll tried all the waxes and rubbing compounds with zero luck 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PVC has plasticizer in which makes the pvc flexible. Over time the plasticizer leaches out which is why eisenglass and other flexible tracks and parts get stiffer, harder, and yellow. Agree that it can’t be reversed but it can be slowed and delayed with proper maintenance. I use Meguires plasex and it absolutely helps eisenglass to last longer and be clearer as it is a conditioner along with a cleaner. 

I’ve turned eisenglass that looks like that clear again with plastx but it’s not always Saveable. Worth a try for a $6 bottle at Walmart….
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    I've got a bottle of Plastx, any advice for process? Elbow grease or orbital?
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @JoeStang. I’d go orbital.  Been there with elbow grease.  You may need to use a more cutting type pad to start with.  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Agree, I use an orbital with PlasteX every fall. 

• Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭✭
    Buddy of mine just had the eisenglass replaced at marine canvas shop. They just sewed a new sheet over the old one —— then removed the old panel with a razor blade. Pretty slick. Not expensive at all.

246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't be disappointed if that stain doesn't come out. It doesn't look superficial, seems like the stain penetrated right through the material. Once that happens ... good bye.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    mattie said:
    Buddy of mine just had the eisenglass replaced at marine canvas shop. They just sewed a new sheet over the old one —— then removed the old panel with a razor blade. Pretty slick. Not expensive at all.

Yep thats the way to replace them. For anyone who can sew, or has an interest in sewing, you can buy a Sailrite machine for under $1k and do this stuff yourself. Tons of online video's to show you how. My machine paid for itself within a year replacing bad eisenglass, fixing broken stiching and zippers, patching rips, etc... on my canvas and family members canvas and sails. 

• Options
    Eisenglass is PVC: which breaks down from UV exposure.  Once it starts to cloud up / discolor there is no fix.  

True Strataglas is a different product with much better UV exposure life.  Downside is it is not as flexible.  You can get thinner grades that will roll, but not like a tight roll. Thicker grades will not roll at all.  

Yeah I've handled Strataglass on my father-in-laws boat, and it has some advantages. It definitely is not as easy to store and handle, which is a medium issue on my boat since I do take it up & down pretty often. I keep it all rolled up on the small cubby between cushions and porthole, so I dont have any extra space to give up. :/

@JoeStang. I’d go orbital.  Been there with elbow grease.  You may need to use a more cutting type pad to start with.  
    Gonna try it tonight. I'm not expecting any change, but we'll see.

Agree, I use an orbital with PlasteX every fall. 
    I have for the most part, except for last Fall obviously. I noticed the stain when I took it down, but I think it was just dirty. No such luck.

mattie said:

Thats interesting and makes good sense. Its def not bad enough to worry about right now, but maybe in another year or two.
    MarkB said:
    I wouldn't be disappointed if that stain doesn't come out. It doesn't look superficial, seems like the stain penetrated right through the material. Once that happens ... good bye.

Yeah rubbing by hand made zero difference and it seems like its "inside" the plastic. I hope I can at least stop or slow it down.