Options

390 Shore Power Not Working on One Circuit

rmrstlmormrstlmo Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
One of the circuits of the aft pair of shore power receptacles went completely dead last weekend.  It had never acted up before that.  This is what I know and have tested:

1) The shore power pedestal and both power cords all good.
2) The starboard pair of receptacles works fine.
3) I removed the electric panel in the boat to the measure incoming voltage.  It was zero on the dead circuit.  I tested the good circuit just to be sure I was doing it correctly and I got 120v on that one.
4) I tested the black and white wires of the dead circuit individually for continuity and they are both showing that they are broken somewhere.

Now my questions...   Does anyone know if there is an inline connection somewhere between the back of boat and the electric panel?  My 340 had one and the junction went bad.  Any other ideas of what else to look for?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    I would remove the receptacle that isn’t working and inspect it for a loose or broken prong. I had the plastic break on the inside that holds the prongs in place on my 242 once.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    benvenuttiokibenvenuttioki Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
    There should be a pair of breakers in close proximity to the port receptacles. On 370 they are behind panel just forward of and above cockpit sink. 
  • Options
    Yep...  I should have put that in the original post.  I did check the receptacle and it was good.  When I did the continuity check I was using bare wire (not the receptacle prong).

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes there is a breaker between the port shore power inlet and the panel. Should be somewhere close to the shore power inlet in the cockpit area. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    benvenuttioki, that could be it!  I didn't know what those were for.

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I forgot about those breakers! Hopefully that’s your issue!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    If the breakers are on and you're still not getting power, you might have a failed connector.  Search "Anderson powerpole" for info.

The breakers are used to make sure there's no juice flowing through the shore power cords when you connect or disconnect them.  If you make or break a connection when there's a load drawing current, it can damage your cords and receptacles.  

Turn the breakers off before unplugging the cords.  Leave them off until after you reconnect to shore power, then turn them back on.
  • Options
    I appreciate the feedback LaRea.  I had one of the Anderson Powerpole connectors fail on my 340.  Finding it was time consuming to say the least.

I always switch off heavy load items at the panel and then turn off the main breakers at the panel prior to disconnecting the shore power.  This boat was new to me last year so I'm still learning a few things about it!

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340